Esteemed Contributor

Anyone going on a first date should meet them at the restaurant, cafe, etc., have your own means of transportation and money to pay for at least half of the check.  If he offers to pay, fine but don't expect him too.  You go your way, he goes his  ad everyone is safe and not beholden to anyone. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I'd be more than suspicious if a guy wated to take me to a white tablecloth restaurant on a 1st date. That alarm would get a no thanks from  me.

Outback is probably my high dollar limit for a 1st date. And tho I've never been stuck with the bill, I do bring a cc. Just in case.

I can't even imagine going out to dinner with some unknow mystery guy.  Not because I'd worry about the check.  I just wouldn't want to be stuck with a guy who I know I don't want to ever see again for...a dinner.  I think coffee or drinks for that first date is really how it's done today.

I always throw the let's get dinner at...... out to a guy. 

If he only wants coffee or a drink, he's either cheap & wants to see what he can get get out of you for a Starbucks? Or he's just not that interested.

A man will never treat you better than the beginning of a relationship. 

Honored Contributor

I'm glad I'm old and dated under a different system. Things were much easier back then

Honored Contributor

Being the well-trained and well-bred Southern lady I am, I would simply pay the check, shake his hand, bid him good night and have the maitre'de call me a cab, and throw him out of the restaurant if he hung around and didn't get the message.  

That would settle that little fiasco.  

Honored Contributor

Cute responses but I am definitely sensing a generation gap....lol  

Honored Contributor

@SnowpuppyI think you are right

Esteemed Contributor

So odd what some people will do for a free meal.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Being the well-trained and well-bred Southern lady I am, I would simply pay the check, shake his hand, bid him good night and have the maitre'de call me a cab, and throw him out of the restaurant if he hung around and didn't get the message.  

That would settle that little fiasco.  

Well trained?    Pets get trained, not people.   

Honored Contributor

In the long run, the women got off cheap by only paying for dinner.  He is no knight in shining armor that you want to build a relationship with.

Respected Contributor

Since I was very young, I have always split the check with dates, and noone has yet run away from his side of the bill.  Smiley Happy