Honored Contributor

Costco's Biggest Mistake in 2016

Costco's failure to expand its e-commerce division, to compete with Amazon and others, could hurt them in the long run, according to the author.

Here's the link to an interesting article:

http://usat.ly/2hA9xew

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Re: Costco's Biggest Mistake in 2016

I have gone online to the Costco website and it's offerings are often  limited.

Amazon is often my 'go to'. It's where I am purchasing Christmas gifts for my daughter, at her request.

Esteemed Contributor

This is so interesting. 

I find their site really difficult to navigate and the lack of product curation and automatic product suggestion based on your search times to be a real missed opportunity.

It feels like their business model is to not invest, upgrade, enhance the experience at all, both in store and online.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

I think Costco grew too big, too fast and they are still playing catch-up amidst their need to expand their marketing agenda.

Esteemed Contributor

Costco has a different business model.They are more old school in that they concentrate their business on in store sales.I find that refreshing & do not find it to be a hindrance at all.They also do most of their business in bulk sales.Everytime I'm in Costco which is usually twice a month it's always crowded!!

Even though I enjoy the convenience of online shopping,I also enjoy being forced out of the house!! Walking through Costco I never know what's going to catch my eye.They also have the best return policy on the planet.I've brought back items ie: a cordless phone, 2 years old, that stopped working without a receipt & they've taken it back!! They can look up the item off of your member card!! 

They also hire local & pay very well with awesome benefits!! 

Honored Contributor

I don't see why Costco needs to have a large online presence. The vast majority of the things I buy there I couldn't buy online which is fresh food. About 50% of the items in their stores are food, with a small amount of rotating housewares, electronics/tvs, clothing,  books/movies medicine, tools and seasonal items. The only time I've bought from their online store is clothing in a size they sold out of in my store. 

On top of it, they don't have the best prices on books, movies or electronics. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

The bulk of items I and those I know purchase at Costco are food and not dry goods.The fact that many grocery stores have attempted and failed when it comes to these items is why Costco is not looking to become an Amazon type of company. They offer different items (fresh) based on the area as well. Personally, I wouldn't use an online site for food (except boxed and only if absolutely necessary due to horrible past experiences).

They'll be fine. Not everyone wants or needs to be like Amazon and not every shopper uses or cares for Amazon.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think Costco grew too big, too fast and they are still playing catch-up amidst their need to expand their marketing agenda.

Too big too fast? I've been a member for 20 years and my parents had a membership before that. I've lived in two areas that didn't even have a Costco within hundreds of miles.  

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Are there items at Costco that you can buy without a membership?

Respected Contributor

I disagree with the article and the premise. Part of the shopping experience at Costco is physically walking into the store and finding "finds" that you weren't actually looking for but caught your attention. There's also the factor of buying in bulk-not just non-perishable items either. 

I have noticed a change in the store over the last year, however. Certain favorites are no longer carried, especially in the clothing area. Up until after Thanksgiving the number of clothing tables had been reduced thus having a reduced selection. Some items for the home have disappeared entirely-certain brands of sheets, towels. Instead, furniture displays have appeared: items that used to be featured online are now in the store. Sofas, chairs, bedroom furniture; patio furniture. Big items taking up space. I realize there are many shoppers who will not buy that type of item online without seeing it in person, but at what cost to the store's bottom line? 

I know from speaking to an employee that Costco will drop an item from their inventory if it can be found elsewhere for the same price or possibly lower. That's what happened to the glue stick bulk packages: it could be purchased at another brick and mortar store and it wasn't cost effective to carry it anymore. Well, I don't want to go to that store when it would be on my Costco list. I had to purchase my pocket calendars online at Amazon this year: for the last ten years or so Costco carried them. Not this year, the line was dropped. It was not cheaper online either! 

Amazon has not, until the calendar disappearance, changed my Costco buying habits at all.