Honored Contributor

We downsized and moving was a nightmare that felt like it would never end. I discarded things I wish I'd kept and kept things for no good reason. Every time I look for something that's gone, I feel regret. 

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

We downsized and moving was a nightmare that felt like it would never end. I discarded things I wish I'd kept and kept things for no good reason. Every time I look for something that's gone, I feel regret. 

@occasionalrain Moving is hard work period, and downsizing adds to the pain! I have had a few regrets too after donating something, but I've discovered that the continuous innovation in products has resulted in a few nice surprises when I had to replace something. However, I am much better at weeding things out and not buying "stuff" after the misery of packing and unpacking. 

Honored Contributor

Well, we got rid of 4 bags of papers today that will  be shredded to bits and recycled.  We now open the mail by the recycle sack we use and if we can pitch it after reading it, no more filing, boxing, finding a spot to save it.  (For what???)  Only have 2 boxes to go, that will expire at the end of 2021. Downsizing, minimalist, whatever you want to call it, I'm just done with all the paper mess.  A few things are already handled on line, making less paperwork.  

So I've met my goal already, that I gave myself till the end of this year.  Here's to a carefree summer, and good things (I hope) ahead this year.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Dead Boards

[ Edited ]

To promote the OP's topic, I'll add the scintillating news that I planted a new hydrangea yesterday. It's the conical shape (I already have a beautiful white one) and found one called Pinky Winky. I could not resist that whimsical addition to my garden. Ombré shades of pink (which become more prominent as they age) with white tips. It seems cheerful, which I need!

• Pinky Winky® - Panicle Hydrangea - Hydrangea paniculata

Trusted Contributor

Well, we went to the dump today!  That's right!

We had a trailer full of old fence boards, metal, an ancient file cabinet that was damaged, old buckets, an old toilet,lots of old paint cans, old electronics...the trailer was full!

The dump was an experience for sure:

Everything had to be sorted and deposited in its proper location. I was proud of myself for putting on gloves and helping out with the tossing out.

I hope this is just the beginning of getting rid of things that can't be donated.  We have a large house and a big lot, and unfortunately, an earthen area under the house for "storage".  My husband found boxes of things we had put under the house 30 years ago!

On the good side:  no evidence of rodent activity.

What a day!