Honored Contributor

Daylight Saving is already worldwide

[ Edited ]

In case some aren't aware, much of the world has observed Daylight Saving Time for years, changing their clocks twice just like we do in the US. So no, we would not be out of sync with the world if both houses of Congress approve and the president signs this into law to begin in 2023.

It takes federal approval to have nationwide DST, but any state can choose Standard Time all year, just like Arizona and Hawaii do now. Those states can stay on standard time if they wish. 

The six time "zones" in the US (Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific, Alaska, Hawaii) are not affected and are not the same thing as standard time or daylight time.

Below is an excerpt from metro.co.uk

Along with the UK, most European countries observe European summertime (Daylight Saving) – changing their clocks at the end of March and again at the end of October.

The only European countries which don’t are Russia, Iceland, Belarus and Turkey.

Meanwhile, the United States, Canada, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand also observe Daylight Saving.

Iran, Jordan, Lebanon, Israel and Palestine are among the few Asian places which change the clocks – with major countries India, Japan and China opting not to.

In Africa, most countries do not use it – though the nearby Canary Islands, which are part of Spain, do.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
QVC Customer Care

Re: Daylight Saving is already worldwide

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach 

Interesting.  I had no idea.  Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

I like the idea of not changing the time but I hear much concern about children having to walk to the bus or to school in the dark.  

My dog doesn't change!  He still wakes me up when he wakes up.  No clock!

Frequent Contributor

I agree, I do not like the idea of little or all kids for that matter walking to school in the dark, many safety concerns. Also if it stays light so much later Christmas lights in my opinion would be on so much later and not worth my time to put them up, I know that is a weird concern but I do so love the Christmas lights.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach 

We would be out of sinc with Europe half the year if we remained on DLS while they returned to standard in the fall.  During Spring and summer the UK would be 5 hours ahead while fall and winter they would be 6 ahead. It would matter with phone calls and travel, arranging pick up and reservations. All for those who find changing clocks twice a year too overwhelming.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@GingerPeach 

We would be out of sink with Europe half the year if we remained on DLS while they returned to standard in the fall.  During Spring and summer the UK would be 5 hours ahead while fall and winter they would be 6 ahead. It would matter with phone calls and travel, arranging pick up and reservations. All for those who find changing clocks twice a year too overwhelming.

@occasionalrain 

I'm in favor of staying on standard time for everywhere.

Article by sleep experts in Washington Post linked by Apple news just today.

apple.news/.       AVnFsNd-KShiNcvPaMmiNgg

I posted to share information, not to convince anyone one way or another.

Regular Contributor

@occasionalrain   I really don't think it has anything to do with changing clocks to be an overwhelming task.  For me, the time changes wreak havoc with my sleep.  Especially now with the spring ahead time change, it will be two or three weeks before I start feeling "normal" again as far as sleeping and tiredness is concerned. I wish it was as simple as not wanting to change the clocks.

Respected Contributor

Europe was just on the brink of All Year Standard Time. In 2019 the Euro Parliament planned to to change it's EU countries to Standard TIme by 2021. 

Interesting read.  

From Bloomberg: (March 2021):

Why Europe Couldn’t Stop Daylight Saving Time

The EU was set to stop changing its clocks in 2021, but then came Brexit, the pandemic, and some messy international bureaucracy.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for this, @CatsyCline 

I've been looking but haven't found any discussions or data on what it would mean if there were a permanent change of a half hour, one way or another, instead of a full hour.

If anyone finds anything useful on the half hour subject, please share, or maybe start another thread.