Honored Contributor

We don't have the luxury of being damp and rainy but it was 18° this morning with a cold front coming for the rest of the h e week with highs in 30s and 40s.  I hate warm winter weather but love our bright blue skies and sunshine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@QVCkitty1   The weather here in NEPA is downright lousy.  Rain, very windy, pretty chilly too.

I think we are about 45 miles from the Southern Tier of NY, although I haven't been in Binghamton in decades.

This is perfect soup or chili weather.  Also chicken n biscuits or chicken and dumplings.  Spaghetti or lasagna too.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 , I' about the same distance from Binghamton, I'm right on the NY PA border . 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Central MA:  cold, dank and rainy right now.  They're predicting heavy rains and wicked winds, along with possible power outages.  

I made meatballs and sauce with peppers, sans onions and garlic.  It's my furbaby's birthday so he's enjoying the meatballs and sauce.  I'm not much of a meat-eater, so had a pepper and sauce grinder.  

Now with our full tummies and the dismal weather, think we'll both snuggle up and have a lazy afternoon.

Enjoy your day everyone.  It's good to take time out to veg once in a while!Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Cold, cloudy, windy and snow flurry here in Central Illinois.  I made homemade turkey rice soup yesterday and will eat some tonight.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Valued Contributor

I'm in the southeast and it's cool and windy. It's soup day, cleaning out the fridge from Thanksgiving.   Just made a veggie kale chicken soup and split pea soup.  Will stock the freezer with soup for quick lunches.  Next batch will be beef barley but will wait until tomorrow from that.  There will be no more leftovers!

Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

I miss winter days!  I'd love to take a cold vacation; wrap up in a big blanket, have a bowl of chili, drink hot chocolate.  I wouldn't like living in it full-time, but it sure would be a nice break from hot & sunny 365 days a year.

May not be the kind of days and activities you remember but couldn't you make do with a winter visit to Mauna Kea?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Re: Dark, Damp, and Chilly

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@amyb wrote:

Same here...in CT...BLUSTERY!! Very windy, dark, rainy. (after such a nice weekend)...usual New England I guess!

Comfort foods...Top of my list is always my mom's Pasta Fajiole (Pasta & beans)...like between a soup & a stew.  Love it, yummy & comforting to my soul too, when it's been a tough day.

I also love her Chicken soup recipe, which I haven't made once since I last made it with her about 4 years ago...I think it's time.  Was just talking about this Saturday with my cousin...we were saying, soups like this one actually ARE healing...whenver I was sick with a cold and mom made it, it really made me feel better. Warmth to the chest, helped with coughs...just made you feel better and get better in a shorter time!

Enjoy that chili!

@amyb , I know I can Google, but I love family recipes. Would it be possible for you to post your mom's recipe for pasta and beans. If you can't it is completely understandable, but it would be much appreciated . 

Aw...I would love to share. Especially since losing her this year, I've actually shared that recipe a few times, and it feels good to know it's getting enjoyed by others "out there"; she'd love that. Smiley Happy

Give me a chance to copy paste (I have it saved somewhere) and check here later..

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 I found it quicker than I thought!

Just fyi...as I always tell people, everyone makes it differently, many make it much more elaborate, or add meat like pepperoni...but my mom made it like her mom, and it was just very simple, but delicious...it's how I prefer it. I hope you try it and enjoy!

Mom's (Phyllis's) Pasta Fajioli Recipe

Ingredients:

1 15 oz can cannellini (or any white bean)
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 cup of ditallini pasta (elbows would work too)
Red pepper flakes to taste, usually a pinch or two
Pinch of Italian seasoning
Pinch of
black pepper
2 whole cloves of garlic 
1 tablespoon
of extra-virgin Olive oil
 Grated cheese of choice, and/or Mozzerella, to taste

Start a pan with olive oil on medium heat. Add garlic cloves (crush them if you want to bring out more flavor) until softened. This should take about 2 minutes. Add can of tomato sauce (stand back or lift pot off heat, it spatters!) and 1 8 oz can of water. Season with red pepper flakes, black pepper and Italian seasoning. Bring mixture to a bubble on medium high heat. Add the can of cannellini beans and 1 15 oz.can of water. Bring back to a simmering bubble and then lower the heat to a slow simmer.  

In another pan, simultaneously bring water to a boil, salt and cook pasta for about 5 minutes if 8 min pasta, (or 2/3 of whatever time it says). Drain pasta, and add to the pot with the sauce. Simmer until the pasta finishes cooking. You can remove garlic cloves now, unless you like to eat them!

Remove from heat and serve. Top with grated cheese (Parmesan, Pecorino Romano, Parmigiano-Reggiano...and/or mozzarella) Enjoy!

ps. I don't always add mozzerella, just when I feel like some stringy cheese ~ generally grated parmasan or pecorino romano is best.

Honored Contributor

WV was a warm 41 at noon today.   We are now at 33, and have a very light showing of snow flurries in the air.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

N. Georgia- 38 degrees and sprinkling, sort of a brisk breeze too....  got our fingers crossed for some of the white stuff, even a few flakes will make us happy campers..  See the source image

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee