Trusted Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@GloriBee 

Plus the horrific reality that neither Dan nor Carolyn is old enough for Medicare. Health care is critical.

Dan recently had a major heart attack and need ongoing cardiology care, and Carolyn was a cancer survivor a few years back.

Yes there is COBRA that will give the same health care you had (and YOU pay the full price that employer was giving) but only for 18 months.

Sigh.

@1Professor , you are 100% correct!  Health care is a huge consideration when leaving or changing jobs!  Cobra is also very expensive.  I know this from a family member's experience.

Respected Contributor

@GloriBee wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@mormel20 @MakeUpMaidn @Kathyfobo +all

The entire decision background is posted on the Q Talk thread, beginning with Qurate's announcement yesterday that as of March 1 400 were let go on HSN and QVC. 

Dan Huighes and Carolyn both posted today on their private Facebook pages. The senior stylist posted and was let go Angelo I think. Shannon on HSN was let go.

Hosts are on contracts, so it may have been a decision not to renew some contracts, although it has also been posted by corporate that significant severnace packages and health care were given to all 400.

Qurate Investor Relations Press Release:

After careful consideration, we have made the very difficult decision to eliminate a number of roles within our Qurate Retail Group team, impacting our QVC US and HSN teams, and our corporate shared services teams in the U.S. Today will be the last day worked for most of these team members, although a small number will transition over time. Today’s impacts affect approximately 400 of our team members across these groups. These decisions are not easy but are necessary in realigning how we manage the business and heighten focus on critical priorities.

@1Professor 

Thank you, Much'ly! 

@MakeUpMaidn   Imagine how hard this is RIGHT NOW for their closest co-workers (Dan & Pat!), going on air as if everything is fine?

@1Professor , I agree!  For Dan, the first person I thought about was Pat.  For Caroline, it was Gary.

Pat & Dan have worked together forever!  I always liked their morning show.  They played off each other well.  Dan would crack jokes in his "stand-up" way and Pat would laugh quietly and politely and get on with the business at hand.   They struck a good balance.

Love Pat but have been unable to find any comment she has made on this untimely departure.  This must be unsettling for her.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dan Hughes LEAVING

[ Edited ]

Pat's under no obligation to say anything publicly about the event.

Why should she.

She doesn't seem like a gossip so I don't think she'd spill the desired insider beans (not that she can on a public platform.)

Honored Contributor

Dan seems nice,i was not shocked by him being let go ,but was shocked about carolyn.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@GloriBee wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@mormel20 @MakeUpMaidn @Kathyfobo +all

The entire decision background is posted on the Q Talk thread, beginning with Qurate's announcement yesterday that as of March 1 400 were let go on HSN and QVC. 

Dan Huighes and Carolyn both posted today on their private Facebook pages. The senior stylist posted and was let go Angelo I think. Shannon on HSN was let go.

Hosts are on contracts, so it may have been a decision not to renew some contracts, although it has also been posted by corporate that significant severnace packages and health care were given to all 400.

Qurate Investor Relations Press Release:

After careful consideration, we have made the very difficult decision to eliminate a number of roles within our Qurate Retail Group team, impacting our QVC US and HSN teams, and our corporate shared services teams in the U.S. Today will be the last day worked for most of these team members, although a small number will transition over time. Today’s impacts affect approximately 400 of our team members across these groups. These decisions are not easy but are necessary in realigning how we manage the business and heighten focus on critical priorities.

@1Professor 

Thank you, Much'ly! 

@MakeUpMaidn   Imagine how hard this is RIGHT NOW for their closest co-workers (Dan & Pat!), going on air as if everything is fine?

@1Professor , I agree!  For Dan, the first person I thought about was Pat.  For Caroline, it was Gary.

Pat & Dan have worked together forever!  I always liked their morning show.  They played off each other well.  Dan would crack jokes in his "stand-up" way and Pat would laugh quietly and politely and get on with the business at hand.   They struck a good balance.

Love Pat but have been unable to find any comment she has made on this untimely departure.  This must be unsettling for her.

Other than wishing them well, what type of comment do you think she might make?

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Contributor

Thank you Dan for all the enjoyment over the years. I hope you feel all the love and good wihes being sent to you by everyone. The sting comes not because of cut backs, but the fact that they blindsided you and Carolyn and they stinks. Karma my dear friend will get them unfortuately in the end.

Wishing you well and every thing good.

Respected Contributor

Did Dan Hughes just recently get married?

Or am I referencicng someone else?

Regular Contributor

Regarding; 

Did Dan Hughes just recently get married?

Or am I referencicng someone else?

It was another former host named Dan Wheeler who got married. His first wife died several years ago.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

This substantiated my theory that a retirement incentive was offered.  They wouldn't just lay off older.hosts as that would violate civil right law and leave them open to lawsuits.  The undoubtedly asked for volunteers.  Both Carolyn and Dan have plenty going on that they probably enjoy more than QVC.  This may be a relief to them.

Dan is 61, Carolyn is 64,  Shannon Smith on HSN is 61.  I doubt they were given a choice.  Unless you've got something lined up, I don't think you're going to quit a job you've had for years, at that age.  You're not eligible for full retirement benefits at those ages. Carolyn would be closer.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

They can draw on their 401ks if necessary and desired.

I know many, many in my profession who left long careers mid 50s to early 60s.

It's not difficult if one plans and saves and invests.