Esteemed Contributor

Dad's Way Over The Top Request

I hope this is a  joke. A guy outside of center city Philly put this on Twitter. He & wife are expecting a baby at the end of April. He is concerned about not getting enough sleep and not being in the best frame of mind to give wife support recoving from birth.

Wants a meal train (whatever that is) from friends and neighbors. Breaks it down by breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lists 30 meals and recipes. Example, spicey lamb meatballs and swiss chard stew. Lists snacks as well as dietary restrictions.

You are to text him if you are making a meal and what day,if it's a day they don't want to be disturbed he will leave a white cooler in the side yard.  Oh, and if you want to lend mental health support you can come do dishes, walk the dog or vacuum.

I think Dad doesn't want his sleep disrupted and wife will be caring for baby. Heaven forbid he wash a dish or cook a meal.

While I hope he was joking I wouldn't be shocked if it were real.

Super Contributor

Re: Dad's Way Over The Top Request

Oh brother!  If you don't want to be a husband or a father, don't get married and don't have children.  

Honored Contributor

My first thought was he cannot be serious.  Now I'm not sure.  

"you can leave our soft cheeses in a cooler outside our home, because we might not want visitors" and range of recommended recipes, including "Paleo breakfast egg muffins with thinly sliced cremini mushrooms, pork breakfast sausage, and three tablespoons of melted and cooled ghee," and "dry-roasted, unsalted almonds, homemade granola and chocolate peanut butter energy balls" 

(Google Jim Burns Meal Train to find links and articles)

Honored Contributor

LOL interesting concept.

of course, this is aimed at his close friends and neighbors i suppose. it is pretty common where we are to make meals for the new family so they are not so stressed out with having to cook and take care of a new baby.

look at it this way......at least he wont be throwing out any food if he gets what he wants. LOL......we all know how some are with "gifts of food" and where they end up.

if i were his good  friend i probably would make something off of his list.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12   A joke was my first thought but the more I read on several sites  it appears genuine.

Had he said he suffered from xyz disease and his wife had a difficult pregnancy and asked for general assistance it would be different but the specifications were ludicrous.

Honored Contributor

And how is that related to sleep?????   I had all of that when I had my babies.  It was called my mother and my mother-in-law...LOL   Perhaps it's a joke, perhaps not.  He's so specific about meals, I think it is a joke.   There was a time when our mothers were houseswives and that's what they did as their children started having children; they supported us in every way and taught us how to take care of the babies.  That doesn't exist anymore.  New parents depend on their "village" to help out.    

Honored Contributor

Sounds like he doesn't want to go to the store, either.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

A request like this tells me a lot about this dad-to-be.  I feel sure he’s about to get his priorities, and great expectations rearranged!

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree   His request started by saying he was worried about not getting enough sleep to be "in the best frame of mind to support his wife".  I can see Moms and MIL bringing meals. Some have good friends and a neighbor too.  My problem is the 30 specific meals and recipes included. Unless I have a certain food restriction I would be glad for anything my  friend or neighbor took the trouble to make. 

I am someone who hates to ask for help. When I had my kids my parents lived 2 hrs.away and I think my in-laws may have brought a meal or two.  My husband helped of course, but I could  certainly do dishes and cook a meal. I had a baby not a heart transplant.

Respected Contributor

Meal trains are common around here, but usually a family member or close friend sets it up. It's kind of like a shower. The recipient doesn't organize it or send out requests, but I'm sure they are providing input.

I was asked to make meals for a friend whose parents were ill and for a neighber whose parent had passed away (they had 2 young kids).

It's definitely tacky that he's setting this up and making demands. lol

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu