Respected Contributor

Weird situation/Possible scam?

The house next to me is vacant and the other day I noticed a Chewy.com box outside of the house. I thought it was quite odd, and if fact checked my Chewy account to see if they had delivered my box to the wrong address. No, I did not have any orders processed. 

Yesterday the package was gone, and today Fedex pulls up and delivers another Chewy.com box. I asked the driver if she was sure that the box was being delivered to the correct address  she said it was. 

The owner of that house has never owned a pet and he lives in a condo not far from here. I don't have his phone number. It is quite odd, what do you think? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Weird situation/Possible scam?

@conlt 

I think u should email Chewy. Something is fishy.

Honored Contributor

@conlt, yes, it strange.

Could be that a dog has taken residence and has ordered food? Just a thought. 

Image result for graphic of rolling on the floor laughing

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Maybe the police should be notified calling a non-emergency phone number.

Respected Contributor

I think I will call the police. Last year, I was a victim of mail fraud where a neighbor, from another street, was stealing mail, opening up credit cards and buying things. The police found thousands of names, addresses, even birth dates and SS# of local people. I found out about it when I received a call from the postmaster. The main person though was just sentenced to 3 years in Federal Prison for the scam. As a victim, I receive updates from the Department of Justice and I just received that notice this week. I wonder if they or someone else could be up to the same type of scam. 

Respected Contributor

I think I would contact the owner and verify the shipment. I use to have chewy on auto-ship and forgot to cancel so the order went out. Perhaps the owner did not know order was being shipped to that address or his account could have been hacked.

The other scenario is the crook ordered the dog food with a stolen card and had it delivered to that address (which they would have had to known was vacant). Too bad you don't have a security camera that captured who picked up the package in the middle of the night. Regardless I think would contact the owner first before the authorities. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, it is odd.  But why is the house vacant with the owner living nearby in a condo?  That's odd too.

Valued Contributor

As fast as they are arrested they come up with a new scheme.  I would just alert them that you are concerned since you know of no pets and getting two chewy.com boxes in a single week.  It really can't hurt.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Yes, it is odd.  But why is the house vacant with the owner living nearby in a condo?  That's odd too.

@ValuSkr I had a neighbor whose home caught on fire and she moved into a condo about 5 miles away and never returned to the home. She eventually allowed her sons to rent the home. I am thinking she can't sell and was just going to walk away from the home.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Who knows why he does not live there, he is a little weird. He rented the house out a couple of times. I just messaged him on facebook.