Honored Contributor

So I just moved into a new apartment a week ago ( a smaller space than I had). I took everything I thought I couldn't part with. I have a DVD player I barely used, tons of DVDs boxed sets and single some never even opened ( I thought I had to have them). Now with streaming does anyone even bother with DVDs? There are not enough hours in my lifetime to watch them. I am considering just getting rid of it all although to would pain me to do it.

Respected Contributor

We haven't had a DVD player in years. We stream everything.

Honored Contributor

I honestly never got into that hoarding of DVD's.  Same with taping of TV programs.  I always knew that they would be dust catches and clutter because, as you said, there are only so many hours in a day.  I think we have a portable DVD player somewhere in the house and if necessary, I could use my older laptop.  

Honored Contributor

Very amusing thread. We cannot stream way out here so we still use our DVD player.

Honored Contributor

I have a hoard of music CDs, VHS tapes and DVDs (of all kinds). I haven't played any of them in years but I can't seem to let go of them yet. When I feel the need then it will probably be heartbreaking to throw them out.

Respected Contributor

I don't know much about streaming.  But we still buy DVD's.  Mostly the new movies when they come out and some series, like the Sopranos.  My husband insists on having DVD's and always having a DVD player.  He told me once that it's his, he has it and doesn't have to rely on streaming, especially when it's not on anymore.  

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   I donated my DVD player and all the discs I had that weren't personal when I closed down my snowbird apartment more than a year ago.  I haven't missed any of them.

I still owned an old tube TV that contained a disc player.  My apartment was in a private home - lucky for me I didn't have to discard that clumsy set -  landlord said his teens could use it.

BTW-  I do still have my music CD collection -  I listen on my Bose because the sound is better than I get from other devices on which I could find music. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 Your post made me laugh, let me tell you why........DH just recently donated about 200 cassette tapes, yes that's right cassette tapes!!!!  (LOL)    We have a store called "Savers" in our area that takes just about everything you can imagine.  That place has been a Godsend for me.  When we downsized we dropped off car loads over there, it's great.   They sell the used merchandise very cheap.    Anyway, he also has a collection of DVD's and CD's which we actually still use.  He has many movies he would never part with.   Same thing with the music, so we will hold on to those for sure.   Good luck in your decisionSmiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

I not only still have DVD's I still have and watch from time to time my VHS tapes.  I have a 16" t.v. with a built in VCR so I never felt the need to throw away all those tapes I bought back in the 80's to 90's as long as they could be enjoyed.  It is just me so I have plenty of room to store books, tapes, ect...  I still have my almost 40 year old son's tapes and now his children watch them with me.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I have a few, prob 20 of my fave CD's---never was much into buying lots of them anyway, and I don't really listen to music anymore either, but I kept these and even bought a Bose this past Xmas to play them on, when the urge hits me--they all fit into a cd album thing----my son took the few vinyl records I had as well as cassette tapes and sold them to a music store---not for much of course.