Respected Contributor

Re: DVDs and DVD Player

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

I  have sevaral DVD's, but my player no longer works. Guess I should play them on my computer. Of course, that's on it's last legs, too, and shuts down whenever it feels like it. 

@catter70 

target and walmart still has DVD players for sale.....

We bought a new one for downstairs at Walmart a few years ago.  Surprised to learn that DVD players no longer show the time/ run-time on the player - it's onscreen only.  

Valued Contributor

Yes to DVDs and a player. Many movies I want to watch cost money to stream over what my basic streaming services cost. The DVDs are free from my public library. This last week I picked up Dune (2022) and Breathless (1960, original). I never saw the Sopranos when it was originally on cable or free on a streaming platform. Last summer while laying around in  a semi-stupor (He## of a time here), the library provided me with a distraction: Countless hours of Tony S and his merry band of criminals. I have put Butterfielld 8 on hold for next week.

Absolutely NO to tossing the DVD player. BTW I can also watch DVDs using the old X Box that's hooked up to a 2nd TV.

Honored Contributor

What are you going to do if you lose wi-fi and internet (not electirc) for any length of time?  

We've had it happen here a few times.

Honored Contributor

Re: DVDs and DVD Player

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2   We have a DVD player stored somewhere but never use it now. 

Call around some senior centers; many are happy to get the DVDs for the "movie nights" at assisted living centers and senior housing units.

We donated  ours to such places.   Also some took VHS tapes-believe it or not.  Now those were DH's-especially all the Sci-Fi Star Trek types.

Please do not throw them out.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

@beckyb1012 

You can find "old" movies on YouTube.  If you know how to "burn" you can download the films onto your computer & burn onto a DVD.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

i went to load a DVD and found the batteries in my DVD remote  leaked. luckily fixed the mess... make sure to remove the batts if you only use occasionally.

notice there are many offshoot streaming services now. i have prime but they foist off many shows and movies to Tubi and Plex and others.   there is a Surf channel streaming now. for $$$.  some of those movies used to be on Prime.  sometimes i like to watch surfers and waves. i also like old movies too. so i keep my player and DVDs of classics.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I just moved into a new apartment a week ago ( a smaller space than I had). I took everything I thought I couldn't part with. I have a DVD player I barely used, tons of DVDs boxed sets and single some never even opened ( I thought I had to have them). Now with streaming does anyone even bother with DVDs? There are not enough hours in my lifetime to watch them. I am considering just getting rid of it all although to would pain me to do it.

@Jordan2   I dont stream, so I have tons of dvds and still buying.  I have plenty of time because, for the most part, there is nothing on tv so I watch the dvds.

If I am inside performing drudgerous tasks, I have comedic dvds on to distract me from being bored, dramas are for nights.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2

I have a lot of DVD's, as does my wife. I lost over 100 cherished ones when are basement flooded. Yes, I still watch them. The ones I have bought since our sewage flood are all Bluray DVD. They were bought because they exactly what I wanted, not just something that was/is available via streaming.

Many are live Concerts of groups that are no longer together, and music and performances, that are not shown, or available via streaming. If they are, I am sure they are not free, and can only be watched once, if bought singly, not buy signing a streaming contract.

With live Concerts, with my DVD Players, you can program them to play, only the chapters you like to watch/hear the most. Set them/ crank up by Dolby Surround System, and enjoy performances I enjoy immensely.

I stream very little because I DVR every single televised program I watch. With a total of 3tb of things I can store, streaming is not viable for me, for those reasons.

Sell them, dump them? You own them so!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Very amusing thread. We cannot stream way out here so we still use our DVD player.

@Group 5 minus 1 too bad you don't live near me, you would enjoy looking through my extensive collection. 

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@Jordan2 Your post made me laugh, let me tell you why........DH just recently donated about 200 cassette tapes, yes that's right cassette tapes!!!!  (LOL)    We have a store called "Savers" in our area that takes just about everything you can imagine.  That place has been a Godsend for me.  When we downsized we dropped off car loads over there, it's great.   They sell the used merchandise very cheap.    Anyway, he also has a collection of DVD's and CD's which we actually still use.  He has many movies he would never part with.   Same thing with the music, so we will hold on to those for sure.   Good luck in your decisionSmiley Happy 

@LindaSal I got rid of a lot of CDs and DVDs I just threw them out. I couldn't donate them to a library or nursing home, they didn't want them. I did inquire about selling them to a store that deals in DVDs and CDs, they give you a dollar each! I have box sets for movies and tv shows that cost way more than a dollar.