Esteemed Contributor

I have 2 DVD players, living room and bedroom. I do use ‘em. Sometimes I want to see my favorite movies and I do.

Honored Contributor

Re: DVDs and DVD Player

[ Edited ]

@Mzimac

I cant find some of the movies from the 30's and 40's on You Tube...with the exception of a few of the popular Academy Award winners..

I prefer to just pop a DVD into a player....I guess Im lazy....😁  But thanks for the suggestion!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: DVDs and DVD Player

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac

Speaking of burning movies to DVDS---you'll enjoy this story....and one thing I learned about DVDs is to buy them from a legit site---- TCM Shop, Movies Unlimited, Target, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble..... dont trust random places on the internet....Case in point:

Richard Osborn who used to be on TCM recommended a charming Christmas movie I had never heard of.(its been a couple years and I forget the name of the movie)....Anyway, I scoured all the above legit retail places and no one was selling it, they said it wasn't available....Then I did an internet search and LO AND BEHOLD THERE IT WAS....$11.....so I purchased it....I didnt have time to watch it right away....My sister was doing some Christmas baking and asked if I had some DVD movies she could watch while she baked....I put some together and she came and picked them up....She called me later and said....ummmmm did you watch that one movie....I said no I hadn't had a chance, and she said apparently someone had "burned" the movie unto a DVD but didnt bother to check it because instead of the movie, I got a DVD filled with BOXING MATCHES!!!! 😡 I went back to the site to raise heck and get a refund and there was a big note posted...."our site has been banned due to copyright issues even though all our movies are ones not subject to copyright laws and we are fighting this to get back in business"....... So now no contact info and I had thrown away the invoice and box the DVD had came in I basically threw away $11..and threw the boxing matches away..😫

If TCM or one of these legit places says the movie isnt available on DVD, then it isnt available legitimately and I wont buy it!!!  A LESSON WELL LEARNED! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Indeed I Do still have a DVD player and Lots of DVDs.  When the cable goes out I can stil watch the DVDs.  I'm old fashioned. I like to have the tangible product in my possession.

Same thing with music Cds. 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I have a similiar situation, bought a dvd and it was in French with no subtitles seller paid for the return with apologies.  

I buy dvds from ebay and amazon, at very inexpensive prices.  I found a few sellers that have tons of old tv series, beautifully recorded, and it is legal as after a certain amount of time all is pubic domain.

I have so many tv series and movies, film noir, etc., from decades ago, so wonderful to watch, seeing many who later became stars.

I found one seller, who sells used dvds between $3-5.00 each, free shipping.

I even found a seller, don't know if he is still doing this as this is a side job for some, who had the older Lifetime movies, when there were great actors, even some established stars.

I had recorded tons on vhs, but this year I decided since it is difficult to find a vhs player that lasts any amount of time, I would toss those if I could find the content on dvd at a resonable price, so that has been one of my projects this year, not to mention the space that is found by having the thin dvds instead of the bulky vhs tapes.

This is not to say there aren't bad sellers that one comes across once in a blue moon, but most are reputable, paying for the return of a dvd is there is something wrong.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Spurt  I have a similiar situation, bought a dvd and it was in French with no subtitles seller paid for the return with apologies.  

I buy dvds from ebay and amazon, at very inexpensive prices.  I found a few sellers that have tons of old tv series, beautifully recorded, and it is legal as after a certain amount of time all is pubic domain.

I have so many tv series and movies, film noir, etc., from decades ago, so wonderful to watch, seeing many who later became stars.

I found one seller, who sells used dvds between $3-5.00 each, free shipping.

I even found a seller, don't know if he is still doing this as this is a side job for some, who had the older Lifetime movies, when there were great actors, even some established stars.

I had recorded tons on vhs, but this year I decided since it is difficult to find a vhs player that lasts any amount of time, I would toss those if I could find the content on dvd at a resonable price, so that has been one of my projects this year, not to mention the space that is found by having the thin dvds instead of the bulky vhs tapes.

This is not to say there aren't bad sellers that one comes across once in a blue moon, but most are reputable, paying for the return of a dvd is there is something wrong.

@mousiegirl 

Also, there are some countries that can get a DVD on movies we cant get here in the U.S.  I guess it has to do with distribution rights...so one might be able to find a copy from an "english" speaking country, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand ..Or there are trustworthy vendors on Ebay.......Im just not going to chance it. JMHO. Im glad you've had good luck.....but Im sticking with my list of trusted retailers ...

Valued Contributor

Spurt, you can buy dvd's from this place they took over selling for TCM, they stopped selling in Feb. 2022

Critics' Choice they are in Itasca, IL. I get their catalogs.

they sell,old movies too.

Honored Contributor

While I wouldn't add to them, I'd keep the player and DVD's. I had a square storage unit that spun around and held 300 of them in a relatively small space. When my DH had surgery and couldn't do much for several weeks, I put in a lot if movies for him to enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

I have vinyl and CD's.  I just found out that you can make a mix tape on vinyl.  All you have to do is go to one of the services that press vinyl and send them your song list.  They can create a LP for you.  I was astonished.

My son told me that having a record player was "in" again.  I'm like boy you don't know nothing about LP's on vinyl.  LOL.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@YouGoGirl1 wrote:

Spurt, you can buy dvd's from this place they took over selling for TCM, they stopped selling in Feb. 2022

Critics' Choice they are in Itasca, IL. I get their catalogs.

they sell,old movies too.

@YouGoGirl1 

Thanks for info, I didnt know that about TCM, the last DVD I bought was from Barnes & Noble "Yolanda & The Thief---with Fred Astaire.....cute movie