Regular Contributor

Re: DUI Checkpoints for July 4th

Alcohol is one of the most deadly of drugs.
Esteemed Contributor

Isnt it disgusting that people still drive drunk? Here they do check points on various weekends during the whole year (not just holidays). AND they put it in the paper warning people (but they don't say where they'll be) and people STILL drive drunk! Also before the 4th of July it was in the paper 1st offense you are going to JAIL (good!). Also here they have services that will drive you home or drive you and your car home. There is no reason to drink and drive!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Regular Contributor

Many years ago I had two really good friends get arrested at a check point. I think it's good - I think it stops some really bad accidents from drunk drivers. I have driven drunk several times on the reservation as a kid - and cringe thinking back on those days, Also. Being raised on a reservation - breeds lot's of passes! Not good - but, we Indians do take care of our own!
Regular Contributor

I am not saying this is good! It's cultural- and punishment and accountability happens! No govt. is involved .
Honored Contributor

Now they want to legalize marijuana so we'll have another substance to make people drive and act erratically. Just what we need.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

So scary!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/4/2014 prisrob said: Alcohol is one of the most deadly of drugs.

Amen!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

These people use any excuse to drink excessively. We have company over and they usually leave before all the activities begin around town. We haven't gone to see the fireworks in years. Too many crazy people on the road and too much traffic. Same with New Years. We have stayed home lately.

Honored Contributor

Won't be long and motor vehicle fatalities from talking or texting will catch up with the ones killed by impaired drivers.

I see distraction as dangerous as being impaired. If 100% of the one driving a motor vehicle on a public roadway is not on driving the vehicle? At some point bad things are going to happen, and in my view I do not see them as "accidents".

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

In the same report on the news they said that people falling asleep at the wheel have taken over drunk fatalities.

I couldn't drink that much when I found out I was allergic to booze in the 70s. Probably saved me from drinking and driving. I would say 8 out of 10 people I know have multiple DUIs. Not just one. It's surprising to know there are that many.

I have been in two road blocks and luckily I wasn't drinking either time but the police swore I had been. Just because you pull out of a bar doesn't mean you were drinking. I was threatened and treated very badly until they gave me the test and then one cop was very upset I wasn't drunk and she had to let me go. The first time it was freezing and snowing and I couldn't walk a straight line because I was so cold.

They do post them in the paper about the roadblocks and I'm surprised more people don't know about it. I don't think they should post them and do them more often. I won't even drive at night anymore. A DUI shows up on your background check if they run a report and you don't get hired with a criminal record or bad credit report if a company runs one.