Honored Contributor

I have a standing meeting that was set by someone in the Mountain Time Zone where they do not change the clocks.  So my meeting is at 1:00 pm half the year and 12:00 noon the other half the year.

It's so annoying.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

The sunset isn't until 6:33 PM tonight and it doesn't actually get dark for a little while after that. Saturday night we switch over to Daylight savings time - it will be close to 8 PM before it gets dark!  Woo Hoo. The thing I hate worst about winter has always been the long hours of darkness. Worse to me than the cold. I am happy to see spring. Here in Florida we get spring early and there are signs already - the growth - warmth of the water etc. We had a nice warm winter here and it looks like we are enjoying an early spring.

I was driving home from shopping one day last week and it just had gotten dark out...the store is 3 mi from my home and all of sudden I am faced with a car going in the wrong direction....headlights on headlights.  I pulled over to the curb immediately to avoid a head on collision and to my complete terror and confusion so did that vehicle.  It had tinted windows and I couldn't see in.  We were still on the same side of the street and still headlights on headlights just not moving!  

A surge of panic swept over me and making sure no one was behind me I made a left turn from the curb and pulled into the driveway of a home that was directly opposite of where I had stopped. Now pitch black outside, I called the police. Man or woman driving on wrong side of road and I can't pull out of stranger's driveway for fear of being approached! Don't know what his or her motive is and don't want to find out. 

I let the person in the car see the lights from my cell phone as when I looked over my right shoulder he/she was still there.  While on the phone with the police, they suddenly made an abrupt U-turn from the curb and drove in the opposite direction (the direction I had been driving) and they sped away. 

Yes, I can't wait for longer daylight hours! 

Honored Contributor

I like it when it's daylight (maybe not sunlight) by 5:30-6 a.m. and still a little light out at 9 p.m.

Every once in a while, we go to bed when it's still light out in the summertime and I love it!

Honored Contributor

I honestly can't get enough daylight! I love it getting light as early as 5am, and not getting truly dark until almost 10pm.

I can sleep in the daylight if I need to, just pull the blinds and put on some white noise like a fan or a Duraflame heater. If I'm having too much trouble nodding off, I can usually put on some reruns of the Waltons or Little House and doze off too (or read, that always makes me sleepy!).

I feel so much better when the days are longer, I get more done, I'm more helpful to my family etc. I simply love this time of year with the longer days, and I actually feel physically better.

During Christmas time, I enjoy the dark days and early sunset, but that is the only time I do.

Honored Contributor

We live in California, and unless I'm hallucinating, I think we switched to DST a few weeks ago.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

We live in California, and unless I'm hallucinating, I think we switched to DST a few weeks ago.

@suzyQ3

this thread is from early march. Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@151949 wrote:

The sunset isn't until 6:33 PM tonight and it doesn't actually get dark for a little while after that. Saturday night we switch over to Daylight savings time - it will be close to 8 PM before it gets dark!  Woo Hoo. The thing I hate worst about winter has always been the long hours of darkness. Worse to me than the cold. I am happy to see spring. Here in Florida we get spring early and there are signs already - the growth - warmth of the water etc. We had a nice warm winter here and it looks like we are enjoying an early spring.

I was driving home from shopping one day last week and it just had gotten dark out...the store is 3 mi from my home and all of sudden I am faced with a car going in the wrong direction....headlights on headlights.  I pulled over to the curb immediately to avoid a head on collision and to my complete terror and confusion so did that vehicle.  It had tinted windows and I couldn't see in.  We were still on the same side of the street and still headlights on headlights just not moving!  

A surge of panic swept over me and making sure no one was behind me I made a left turn from the curb and pulled into the driveway of a home that was directly opposite of where I had stopped. Now pitch black outside, I called the police. Man or woman driving on wrong side of road and I can't pull out of stranger's driveway for fear of being approached! Don't know what his or her motive is and don't want to find out. 

I let the person in the car see the lights from my cell phone as when I looked over my right shoulder he/she was still there.  While on the phone with the police, they suddenly made an abrupt U-turn from the curb and drove in the opposite direction (the direction I had been driving) and they sped away. 

Yes, I can't wait for longer daylight hours! 

Wow.  Very smart of you to do what you did.  I'd still be shaking.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

"Having the state of Indiana switch to DST each year, rather than stay on Standard Time costs Indiana households and additional 8.6 million dollars in electrical bills. They conclude that the reduced costof lighting in the afternoon during DSTis more then offset by the higher air conditioning costs on hot afternoons and an increased heating costs on cool mornings. Up until a couple of years ago on 15 of Indiana's 92 counties set their an hour ahead.  A study was done on 7 million monthly meter readings done by Duke's Energy."

This is an article I recently read.

DH and I are not fond of DST but I can see the pros and cons.

I was born and raised in Fort Wayne, IN.  As far as I know they are on EST in Fort Wayne right now.