Esteemed Contributor

Re: DOES ANYONE MAKE DOLL CLOTHES?

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

My granddaughter has a 9" ragdoll we got her from Hawaii. Every time I make my granddaughter a dress, I make one for the doll.

Really, the doll is a funny shape! The first dress I made couldn't close and the arm openings were a snug fit. Finally, I made my own basic pattern, bodice front & back & skirt, so I just adapt everything from that. 

I have yet to make this doll any sleeves in her dresses. I would have to hand sew, and that's not really my specialty.

I believe you can also find free doll clothes patterns on line.

@Harpa 

Why not sew the sleeves to the dress before you sew the side seams?  Then it's a flat piece that would fit on the machine.  After the sleeves are attached, sew up the side seams - one continuous seam from the bottom of the dress to the bottom of the sleeve.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags 

Yes, that would work - rather nicely! Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I have an almost three year old grand daughter.  I have been saving some of my clothes that I otherwise would have donated, thinking I can use the material to make doll clothes for her.  What I would like, if it exists, is to buy a doll or even a stuffed bear, that comes with patterns to make clothes to fit it.  I have not begun to look online yet and I will.  I was just hoping that someone here can make any suggestions or has any experience in this area of sewing.

I would check etsy or pinterest -  I have seen patterns for many things but never looked specifically for doll clothes.  My mom used to sew, knit and crochet doll clothes for our barbies - they were beautiful!  Your grandaugher will be thrilled!

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips McCalls and Simplicity patterns are available on Amazon and there were many other clothing patterns available on the net when I just did a quick seach.

Regular Contributor

You can buy patterns for doll clothes for Barbie, 18" dolls - like American Girl dolls, and baby dolls - the size of Bitty Baby (sold by American Girl).  I had quite a few Simplicity and McCalls and would imagine they are still available.  Also, if you do a Google search for free doll clothes patterns, there are plenty of choices that come up.  You'll enjoy every minute of designing and sewing, and your granddaugther will appreciate your time and effort!

Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

My granddaughter has a 9" ragdoll we got her from Hawaii. Every time I make my granddaughter a dress, I make one for the doll.

Really, the doll is a funny shape! The first dress I made couldn't close and the arm openings were a snug fit. Finally, I made my own basic pattern, bodice front & back & skirt, so I just adapt everything from that. 

I have yet to make this doll any sleeves in her dresses. I would have to hand sew, and that's not really my specialty.

I believe you can also find free doll clothes patterns on line.

@Harpa You are making lovely memories for your granddaughter, with the matching outfits.  My aunts, Martha and Marie, made dresses for me, and used the scrap fabric to make dresses for my dolls.  I still have the dolls and their outfits.  As I have gotten older, I realized their love for me, which they demonstrated with their sewing.  Both had full time jobs. Marie had a husband and cared for my grandparents.  Yet they took the time to sew for me and my dolls.  I was blessed to have them in my life, just as your granddaughter is blessed to have you. 

Respected Contributor

you could also get a pattern to make a doll or bear and the clothes that come with it

what type of things do you like to sew now?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
I have a family member who makes clothes to fit Barbie, and the American Girl dolls. She took outfits apart to use as patterns, and makes beautiful outfits.

@RedTop 

This is what my mother did. We always had lots of clothes for our dolls, because she would take scraps from material she used for sewing other things. 

She made my sister’s bridesmaid dresses, church, graduation & special occasion dresses for herself, her sister, & for her daughters, pant & skirt suits for her sister who worked in an office, etc. She also made & dressed cloth dolls & stuffed animals to raise money for charities.

I still have a couple of those. I wish I had her talent. My mom passed away in 2012. 

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I have an almost three year old grand daughter.  I have been saving some of my clothes that I otherwise would have donated, thinking I can use the material to make doll clothes for her.  What I would like, if it exists, is to buy a doll or even a stuffed bear, that comes with patterns to make clothes to fit it.  I have not begun to look online yet and I will.  I was just hoping that someone here can make any suggestions or has any experience in this area of sewing.

@Puppy Lips 

Doll clothes?   Seriously?   I am NOT being critical here, but I've never understood the whole thing about doll clothes.  Or clothes for family pets, for that matter.  

When my niece was small, my sister suggested I get her some doll clothes for some doll or other for Christmas.   At first, I thought she was kidding.  I told her I would NEVER buy clothes for an inanimate object.   I bought clothes for my niece, instead.

Not taking a political stand here, but shouldn't we be thinking more carefully about what we are giving girls to play with in their formative years?   Just my opinion, folks.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Puppy Lips 

Doll clothes?   Seriously?   I am NOT being critical here, but I've never understood the whole thing about doll clothes.  Or clothes for family pets, for that matter.  

When my niece was small, my sister suggested I get her some doll clothes for some doll or other for Christmas.   At first, I thought she was kidding.  I told her I would NEVER buy clothes for an inanimate object.   I bought clothes for my niece, instead.

Not taking a political stand here, but shouldn't we be thinking more carefully about what we are giving girls to play with in their formative years?   Just my opinion, folks.

@Tinkrbl44 Wow, okay.  Never expected a response like that, but I respect your opinion.  Personally, I never played with dolls.  But my grand daughter might like to.  I think of it as a toy with accessories.  I hope she is a mother herself someday and pretending to have a baby doll of her own, well, I don't see anything wrong with that.  She has a great variety of toys to spark her interests and develop her creativity.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead