Trusted Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Just wondering if anyone here uses NEXTDOOR instead of or along with FACEBOOK.

I am only on this forum and NEXTDOOR, no other social media sharing.  You can only be signed up for one account so if you have homes in different locales, you are out of luck.  Has anyone found a way around this?

I have found useful info on NEXTDOOR, mostly contractors and businesses to use or stay away from.

What has been your experience?

I used to be signed up, but then stopped.

I met some really nice people from my area, but on the whole overall, I would have to say that the atmosphere was generally too negative and contentious.

People also tried to use it as a dating website, too--which is not its intention--and people were also misusing the PM feature there for that reason as well--trying to ask others out on a date! Seriously. Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

I'm not big on social media and just respond when a friend or family says something of interest.

Nextdoor is a little weird.  People complain about posting new conversations and they get no responses, and no one sees them.

The other day I check a conversation that had JUST  posted on ND and the title was Did You Just Hear That Loud Noise?   The poster had posted it eight days ago.   

I think they still need to work the bugs out.

Respected Contributor

I stopped using Nextdoor.  In the beginning it was pretty good, but then there were a lot of posts from backyard breeders selling dogs.   The way the posts were worded, Nextdoor let them get away with it. 

Respected Contributor

Signed up for Nextdoor because of a friend's recommendation.

I signed up as quick as I deleted my account, don't like at all.

For 3 weeks I received Nextdoor emails, but looks like I'm finally out of it.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I tried it for a week because I was led to believe it'd help me get to know neighbors. Wrong.

It is the most annoying app I've ever been on. Countless useless posts, stupid questions, unending whining and complaining, etc etc.  

I deleted my account within a week.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@tends2dogs 

I'm not big on social media and just respond when a friend or family says something of interest.

Nextdoor is a little weird.  People complain about posting new conversations and they get no responses, and no one sees them.

The other day I check a conversation that had JUST  posted on ND and the title was Did You Just Hear That Loud Noise?   The poster had posted it eight days ago.   

I think they still need to work the bugs out.

That post was on mine, too.  It is an ad for Progressive insurance.  The loud noise is the sound of the price dropping.  Woman LOL

The site is getting overrun with ads.  I still have found some useful suggestions for doctors and businesses.  You just have to skip through the rif raf.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624   I agree.  I'm really not big on these sites 

Esteemed Contributor

Love it.  Have found amazing recommendations for services.  Local people who have had experiences dealing with others.  It basically is a local platform and we share ideas and also activities in our area. And if there is ever a major problem we are alerted.. everything to missing items, missing pets, and missing neighbors.  If there is an accident, road closure, crime alert... we are in the know almost immediately. 

Yes, there  have been some members who over react and could be considered a bit rude but it does not happen often. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DO YOU USE NEXTDOOR?

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have been so fortunate.  Lots of scams out there.  Nextdoor has given me good local information to find the right person or business to help me with any problems I need help with.   Met amazing people.   1. roof cleaned  2. house cleaning 3. insect control 4. repairs to porch and deck 5. lawn services  6. computer repair 7. local events --- among other things.  

And when I am aware of someone who does do good and honest work I make  suggestions.   

And then there are social  posts which give  us opportunites to share interest groups... in my case  I invite others to join our square dance workshops and dances.  

Our Nextdoor is monitored and if anyone is "not nice" or causing trouble they are not allowed to post. 

Just so you know I live in West central Maryland... Frederick Co.. although we are growing we still have that country rural flavor.                                                                                                                       

Trusted Contributor

This forum is as close to social media as I get.