Regular Contributor

Absolutely! We don't have curbside recycling either and I live in a big city. I wish states would make it mandatory. I live in an townhome and it's not that difficult to do.  I, too, don't under stand people who are too...well too lazy to do it.  Where do they  think all this trash goes? Do they think it magically disappears?  It bothers that is more and more items packaged for so-called convenience. Don't get me started on styrofoam.  I like nature shows and when you  see how much trash pollutes the oceans and other waterways throughout the world it sickens me. This is the only earth we have we need to love  and respect it, it's our home.  I was a child of the 50's and 60's and. we used wax paper for wrapping lunch.  I recall an Audobon magazine about 25 years ago published in honor of Earth Day devoted  to addressing major issues impacting environment.  It was in this issued that I learned about Belize  and th innovative ways they were addressing preserving the rainforest.  There also was an article how recycling produced more jobs.

Esteemed Contributor

My city has a special can for papers, cans and bottles. The recycling place is just a couple blocks away and I go there for a little pin money. A store saves some for me and it is a nice walk.

Honored Contributor

I wish our city would issue the cans but to date they have not.  Most of the areas around us have city issued cans.  One is for regular trash and one is for recycleables.  This comes up often at city council meetings and the reason they've not issues the cans yet is because they are large and they are worried about the elderly trying to drag them down the driveway for pick-up.

There is a widow who lives across the street from me but even though it's just her, every week she puts out one small blue bag with her recycleables in it. 

Honored Contributor

We get three large bins for recycling, supplied by the recycling department.  If one gets lost or stolen, the tenet is not charged, they just get another one.

One is for organic material, one is for paper products and the third is other carp.

They also supply us with a smaller closed bucket to use daily to put food matter into.  Egg shells, coffee grounds, etc.  DH buys little biodegradable baggies to line the container.  We keep that one on the enclosed back porch and take it out every other day or so.  Every day if it's something we can smell.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I wish our city would issue the cans but to date they have not.  Most of the areas around us have city issued cans.  One is for regular trash and one is for recycleables.  This comes up often at city council meetings and the reason they've not issues the cans yet is because they are large and they are worried about the elderly trying to drag them down the driveway for pick-up.

There is a widow who lives across the street from me but even though it's just her, every week she puts out one small blue bag with her recycleables in it. 

Ours have wheels, @Lipstickdiva.  It still may be difficult for an older person or someone with disability to roll the can to the curb even so, but it does make it easier.  (I only bring this up because it wasn't specifically mentioned in your post.  It may have been implied, but I wasn't sure.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

You don't have to buy all of that stuff that needs recycled to begin with.  If you really want to make a difference don't bring it home to begin with.

Ridiculous statement for the most part.  Things come in jars and containers; it's unavoidable.

Not recycling is irresponsible. You're making excuses. 

What about excuses for excess things we don't need that are packed in plastic, especially bottles?  Soap comes without wrappers, but people buy PHilosophy.  We all buy more than we need, which creates the trash.  Probably you order from QVC what you could buy locally and not have to recycle that box--and waste the fuel to get it to your door.

You could raise chickens and get eggs without cartons.  You could do a lot of things, as could we all.  But everyone has to think about where they live, their lifestyle and how they manage their resources.  It is a sliding scale and a choice.  You are simply judging others when you don't know a thing about how they live and how they conduct their lives.  

Sharing opinions is great.  Calling other irresponsible isn't.

Honored Contributor

if you choose to recycle in our county, you have to purchase your own recycling container. i have two large blue containers that are on wheels. they are for mixed recycling. you cannot put recycling out in bags unless it is the yard waste recycling and that is picked up once a month.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Occasional Contributor

I am big time into recycling, re-purposing and reusing.  It just makes me feel good, like I'm helping Mother Earth  :-)

Not everyone has the same recycling options available to them.  My county's Waste department has a Facebook page, which I follow.  I learn new things all of the time.  I recently learned I could recycle some items I wasn't aware of:  the plastic bag inside the breakfast cereal box can be recycled, as can baggies (such as sandwich baggies) as well as the plastic wrap that is used on cases of bottled water, iced tea, etc.  Here where I live, these plastics go with the plastic shopping bags that get recycled at WalMart or the grocery store.  I love learning about new things I can recycle!

Also learned I can recycle the metal lids used on glass jars.  Guess I had never thought about that one, but now it seems so logical.

It's good to check in with the recycling center from time to time.  I know here they are constantly trying to improve so that additional items that did go in the trash can now be recycled.

For those who mentioned washing their recycling wastes water, after I wash dishes the last thing I wash out are the recyclables like the messy mayo and peanut butter jars.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

Amazon boxes are recyclable and made from recycled material.  Every brown box we get at home, DH breaks down and recycles.

I hardly ever get canned anything, most cat food, though, and they are recycled.  I never buy soda or bottled water.  I have very little of that type of packaging to recycle.  I cook from scratch almost all of the time, and I recycle the organic material left.

Don't assume others of us aren't doing our best.  Most people at least try, you could help with just the little bit you accumulate. 

Honored Contributor

@XmasCarol wrote:

I am big time into recycling, re-purposing and reusing.  It just makes me feel good, like I'm helping Mother Earth  :-)

Not everyone has the same recycling options available to them.  My county's Waste department has a Facebook page, which I follow.  I learn new things all of the time.  I recently learned I could recycle some items I wasn't aware of:  the plastic bag inside the breakfast cereal box can be recycled, as can baggies (such as sandwich baggies) as well as the plastic wrap that is used on cases of bottled water, iced tea, etc.  Here where I live, these plastics go with the plastic shopping bags that get recycled at WalMart or the grocery store.  I love learning about new things I can recycle!

Also learned I can recycle the metal lids used on glass jars.  Guess I had never thought about that one, but now it seems so logical.

It's good to check in with the recycling center from time to time.  I know here they are constantly trying to improve so that additional items that did go in the trash can now be recycled.

For those who mentioned washing their recycling wastes water, after I wash dishes the last thing I wash out are the recyclables like the messy mayo and peanut butter jars.  

I do that, too, with the really messy ones!  It doesn't take any extra water, they can just be wiped clean.