Honored Contributor

I had Ancestry dot com do my dna test and the results were what I thought they would be with only one minor addition to my heritage. Overall it was accurate.

Honored Contributor

I've had two tests and both matched 100% with what I knew of my own ancestry, and matched with each other.

The majority of people do not read up sufficiently on what the DNA testing they are ordering can and cannot do. They expect exact, concrete, cut-and-dried  answers and that just isn't how DNA testing works, at least at the $100-300 level.

I no longer recommend FTDNA, even though they go into the most depth. They have had my sample, and my $200, for about *3-1/2 months* and continue to push my date back, whereas Ancestry and 23andme took half that time. The next delay I'm filing with the BBB. I've had 4-5 date changes since submission. On contacting the company, their canned response is essentially "tough doody" - easy to say when the sucker has paid up front. Unacceptable to me.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

Re: DNA testing kit

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde 23andme took 5 weeks and you can go to their site and check the progress of your sample and call or email them any time with questions...I haven't tried any other sites so I can't vouch for others...I had a couple questions and they answered them very pleasently...DW

Super Contributor

I had mine done with ancestry.com and I am thrilled to learn my heritage. The way they explain it, each child in a family inherits 50% of their DNA from their father and 50% from their mother. So a sibling does not have the same exact DNA as any other sibling. My results were basically what I expected with some little surprises in the mix. They test your DNA back 1,000 years. A lot of migration and intermarriage takes place in that many years. I also received 32 pages of relatives who have, also, been tested. That, too, is accurate as I can trace the family tree. I feel that ancestry.com is very reliable and I am very pleased with them. DNA does not lie.

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

@Moonchilde 23andme took 6 weeks and you can go to their site and check the progress of your sample and call or email them any time with questions...I haven't tried any other sites so I can't vouch for others...I had a couple questions and they answered them very pleasently...DW

You will note in my post I've already had test results from 23and me, but thank you.

It's only FTDNA I have issues with. At this point I seriously doubt I'll be getting results from them that I can trust. They have re-run my "batch" 3-4 times(!) I complained on their FB page and emailed the website and the response was "it is what it is", i.e. "whatever."

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We've used a kit in our extended family, it was re-verified by another lab and was accurate.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I think it is very gimmicky at this time, and totally unregulated. I choose to not to.

The regultion is what I'm worried about! Some company has my info and I have no idea with whom or for what purpose they might share it! I know I'm a bit ( ya think?) paranoid 🙄, but when Social Security first gave out numbers they swore they would never be used to track you! There are so many people needing organs, etc that with some hacking or maybe a big cash donation, certain info can be shared!😠

Before I get in trouble, I am an organ donor and recommend it to anyone who'll listen, I'd just like to be dead before someone chooses my organs!😁

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Re: DNA testing kit

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden I agree with you of not being accurate. I think they just want your bl00d for their research, you give them information to share,  plus you give them money. 

win win for them!

Occasional Contributor

I don't have experience with using the DNA kits. However, a friend told me she had DNA testing on her mixed breed dog --- just for fun. The results? Almost exactly what her vet told her when she asked him what breeds he thought her dog could be. 

I thought it was funny. 

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

We've used a kit in our extended family, it was re-verified by another lab and was accurate.

Is it possible all these companies share info?  One might get the same result.