Respected Contributor

Re: DISGUSTED WITH USAA

[ Edited ]

I Googled the BBB with this company and website is showing USAA has an A+ rating.  

Also, whenever I've had a disputed credit card purchase, I've always called the merchant, not the credit card company.  It was always reversed right away.

Trusted Contributor

@Sunshine Kate  I have no idea who the merchant is.  That's why I called the CC company.

Respected Contributor

@pdlinda, but you said the charge came through Amazon Marketplace. Amazon would know the specific vendor. They got a cut from them.

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I Googled the BBB with this company and website is showing USAA has an A+ rating.  

@Sunshine Kate 

Did you know companies can PAY to have the BBB rate them at an "A+"?  Yep, pay. Goes to show you the BBB can't be trusted.

Trusted Contributor

@Etoile308  Yes, I found that out yesterday when I called Amazon and they referred me to their security team.  They will call me back in 1 or 2 days. 

When I called USAA to report a fraudulent charge on my acct (with no merchant ID except "amazon marketplace") I thought USAA would be the one to ID the merchant through Amazon, not ME.  

That's what I learned by posting.  I should have been more aggressive in  my investigation and not relied on USAA to do anything to investigate my claim, because that's what they did:  NOTHING!

Trusted Contributor

@Sushismom   

Good point! 

As an aside, I googled USAA claim complaints and it brought up literally THOUSANDS of entries chronologically starting with today and going back by week and month.  I was STUNNED!!  To me, USAA was always the gold (or platinum) standard in corporate governance and relations with their customers. 

If I had the time (that I don't) I'd do some research regarding their top management team members, who they are and how long they have been with the company.  Changes have been made to the company's detriment and to the detriment of many of their customers.

Respected Contributor

Understandable that you're frustrated.

I will echo what an earlier poster had said about American Express and that they are easy to deal with and are in my experience excellent at handling any concerns. 

Honored Contributor

I/we have been with USAA for many years.  DH was in military and started with them before we were married. They have always been a good company to be part of compared to others.  A+ is right.  We have never had a problem resolving an issue.  That goes for a fraudulent charge red flagged by them and resolved when they issued new cards to us.  I am sorry for the problems you are experiencing, however, I think USAA remains a strong and good company.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda @Thanks. Someone could have got you CC # at a doctor's office, salon, restaurant, website where you shopped, off these giant internet databases that criminals share, phony ATM, food delivery company, from a data breach and many more possibilities. The thief could be doing this to others and buying items that are easy to resell. They might not even be in the U.S. Amazon should be able to tell you what was ordered since you are the account holder. The choosing of a buy for exactly $100 is interesting. There's a reason for it, probably an underhanded reason. 
@pdlinda Amazon will also have the  IP address of the person and will know it was not purchased from your regular devices. For $100 the person could have bought a gift card. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda 

You are my echo when it comes to being fed up with the banking side of USAA, although its insurance company has served us well for more than 40 years and we won't go anywhere else for auto and home insurance.

The banking side---which is totally separate from USAA Insurance Company-- has gone steadily downhill for several years.  Each time I call, I've been put on hold for hours, put through  multiple identification hoops with each rep I'm  passed off to,  until  finally reaching  a higher-evel person who can actually help me.

After enough aggravation, I recently withdrew a very large amount from the savings account we have there, and when our last CD matures next month, that bank will become history to me.

We already have several banks and now need another one to store the USAA money.  UGH.

Here's a snapshot of what I've put up with for too long.

---Opening up two CDs that I requested, only to find out  later they opened two other new ones (identical in amounts and maturity dates to the ones I asked for)........ using up almost all the money in our savings account.

--In order to keep within FDIC coverage limits, USAA opened an additional  CD or two for me with the USAA  bank in Nevada, instead of the main one in  Texas.  Later when I inquired about opening up an additional CD account  in Nevada, I was told there was no such thing as a second USAA bank anywhere except Texas..  (The company does indeed have two  separate banks with different charters, no matter what this clueless person had said. Took hours to work my way up to a higher-level person who knew better.)  The incompetence level there has become too much to tolerate.

--USAA no longer offers any accounts set up for  trusts of any type, whether revocable or not.---it's the only bank that refuses to do so that I have encountered.  Therefore, USAA's banks are suddenly totally useless to us.

I can't wait until our last dime is out of there.