Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

If I'm reading this correctly, the USAA credit card was the card that was fraudulently used for an Amazon purchase. The Chase credit card has nothing to do with the transaction - it's just a comment by the OP that she only uses the Chase card for her own initiated purchases.

Chase has nothing to do with this. I'd be surprised if Amazon will help. Your problem is with the company that issued the credit card that was used fraudulently - USAA. I don't understand why their fraud unit has not done a better job of taking care of this issue.

If it was me, I'd send a letter to the head of the credit card fraud department at USAA, with a copy to the CEO and COO (find their names on their website or call the company and ask), and also a copy to your state's Attorney General. Be sure to indicate when this was originally reported to USAA and provide as much supporting information as you can. There is no way that this should have gone on this long, especially for the small dollar amount. Stop making phone calls - put everything in writing and get tough with them.

And forget about Chase and Amazon - they have nothing in this. It's between you and your credit card issuer. Good luck!!

OK....ok!  So that's how it went down!  Oh my!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

pdlinda wrote:

Have been with USAA for MANY years ( from my father who was in the military).

I have various products with them and was always proud to refer to myself as USAA for life!"  

Last July, 2021, I got an entry on my CC Visa statement for just under $100 from a vendor in the "Amazon Marketplace." 

I immediately called USAA to report a fraud as I have a Chase card (with 5% back) that I use for all my Amazon purchases so there is no circumstance where I would use the USAA card for any Amazon purchase.  I have no idea who perpetrated the fraud, no company is mentioned on the coded entry on my account and I have no other info to offer them in this matter.

It is now almost October and this matter has not resolved!!  The $98 charge still appears on my statement!  I have called 8 different levels of CS (including the latest being the "Chairman's Office") to no avail!  Each agent, at whatever level of CS has a script telling me their "team" is working on it, research is being done by their fraud dept....it goes on and on with NO RESOLUTION!  

The individual answering the phone is always pleasant but apparently unable to wield the clout to get the charge reversed and satisfy me that the matter is closed in my favor.  It feels like I'm stuck in a loop of inertia!!

To say I have lost complete faith in USAA would be an understatement and I'm at a loss as to how to proceed to get that $98. charge reversed on my account.

As an aside, I also have a substantial (for me) savings acct that I've had for years with USAA.  I would like to close it to reflect my loss of confidence in the company.  However, I have no idea where I would park that $$$ so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If I'm reading this right, the charge was on her USAA credit card not her Chase credit card. 

Whewwwwwwwwwww!  Boy did I get it twisted.  This could be because of my bias towards Chase and the handling of credit card disputes.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@NickNack @Even though she never uses it, I was trying to find out if the card information was under her profile on Amazon. The fraud is coming from somewhere. If her Amazon account was hacked, the hacker could have seen the account information. It's possible that the USAA card information came from a person that saw her card in a place where she does use that account. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: DISGUSTED WITH USAA

[ Edited ]

@@jannabelle1 @Amazon needs to be involved because they know here the purchase was delivered to. It's a fraud committed on their website and their security people should be aware of it. @pdlinda Amazon will also know what was purchased and if the buyer had the security numbers from the back of the card. 

Trusted Contributor

We went with USAA two years ago after being denied a $40k claim at State Farm for storm damage that we had to pay out of our own pocket.  So far, so good with USAA. All I want them to do is pay claims when they are legit and not steal from us. I have never had a credit card with them and no plans for that. I hope you get it resolved soon. I would think Amazon would be the one who needs to deal with it. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D   The USAA card is NOT on my Amazon profile.  The ONLY CARD on my Amazon profile is my Chase 5% back VISA card.

As for your following post, I agree with you regarding Amazon KNOWING where that item was shipped and what the item was so when I hear from their security people, maybe they'll be able to tell me.

The Amazon C.S. person queried me at some length regarding whether a family member or friend of mine had access to my CC info and placed the order without telling me.  I strongly replied:  NO, there is no one in my family/friends who have my CC # and, as you mentioned, I stated that even if someone had noted my  CC# they wouldn't have the 3 digit security code on the back.

Thank you SO MUCH for all your advice and info in this matter and I'll keep you posted on developments.  I have an entirely different perspective about this prickly matter than I did before my post.  My overall impression is that it's not going to be resolved until and unless I take the steps the info you outlined.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DISGUSTED WITH USAA

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

I had a dispute on my USAA credit card. I wrote a letter and sent it registered mail.

It was corrected the next billing cycle. No problem.

PS - I thought anytime you dispute a credit card charge, you have to give the credit card company the reason why you are disputing the charge in writing. They can't use a phone call to correct the dispute.

The credit cards have specific procedures for disputing charges, and they should be followed.  There are deadlines that need to be met.

However, a credit card holder can always avail themselves of customer service to see if they will resolve the dispute.  I have done that, and in every instance the credit card company American Express or I (in the instance where I used another credit card) have resolved the issue before the deadline to submit the paper work.  I prefer to resolve the issues by speaking to people before submitting any paperwork, because (1) maybe I don't need to submit any paperwork; (2) I may be able to resolve it faster than if I were to submit paperwork; and (3) I may be able to find out what led to the issue and address it in my paperwork should it be necessary to complete it, and that will also expedite the resolution of the dispute.

So yes, credit card companies do accept phone calls to resolve disputes.  But if it doesn't look like they will resolve it before the deadline to submit it formally, make sure to follow the formal process before the deadline arrives!

@mspatmac 

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe  You are correct as there is an amount that an agent can write off as it is less costly than researching it.  A manager or supervisor also have higher write off limits after evaluating the situation.  American Express has different criteria.  Lots of variables can come into play.  Thanks for adding helpful information.

Trusted Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

When I called in the fraud claim (that card holders are instructed to do) I received an acknowledgement letter from USAA that clearly stated that if I had any questions or needed more info I should call them at a designated #. 

There was no mention whatsoever about putting anything in writing.  I thought the matter would resolve just like yours did with AMEX almost instantly.

Now I know what I have to do and will do it.  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe 

When I called in the fraud claim (that card holders are instructed to do) I received an acknowledgement letter from USAA that clearly stated that if I had any questions or needed more info I should call them at a designated #. 

There was no mention whatsoever about putting anything in writing.  I thought the matter would resolve just like yours did with AMEX almost instantly.

Now I know what I have to do and will do it.  Thanks!

@pdlinda IMO the fact that USAA documented your claim, if they did it within the time frames, means IMO that your claim was sufficiently documented to meet legal requirements.  If you are submitting a letter NOW, that would be how I would refer to my claim, as if it were sufficiently documented under the card agreement and the consumer protection laws, they acknowledged it, and that you just need them to resolve it, they are taking too long.  Maybe let Amazon know, if you didn't, tell them that you did make a claim with the credit card company and they are dragging their feet.

I am feeling pretty good about your claim now @pdlinda, with this additional information! I think you will get a good result.

I don't trust the people on the phone until I get results.  But here, you got a letter, so you know the disputed charge was submitted.  Their CS is just terrible!