Honored Contributor

Re: DID THIS JURY GET IT RIGHT?

To me a lot depends on whether or not the policeman "thought" he was being attacked.  That is what I would like to know and hear from the policeman. @hckynut  is right about us not being there.

It would be interesting to know how many of the jurors have a family dog. Some studies show that a pet owner is more likely to save his pet about to get hit by a car than a stranger about to get hit by a car. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

They should have been awarded MORE money and the officer should do some time in prison. Really. I don't think we should treat animals any different from humans. 

SERIOUSLY? The officer had dog prints on her so the dog was actually in contact with her body. It was a large dog - it was snarling and growling - really, what do you think she should do? Please - tell me what her alternative was. DOGS ARE NOT PEOPLE. They don't speak or understand english. You can't just tell them to stop.

@151949

Excuse me, but haven't you stated that you were not there?

Also, the report says she is wrong, the officer lied about the dog being aggressive.

It was investigated - as ALL police shootings are and she was found faultless. Even if they only shoot a rock - when a law officer discharges their weapon it must be investigated.

@151949

Read the news report, I highlighted it in blue for you.

Your dislike of dogs is blocking the reality of the report.

See the top of page 8.  Blue.

Yes, this poster thankfully no longer has dogs. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

To me a lot depends on whether or not the policeman "thought" he was being attacked.  That is what I would like to know and hear from the policeman. @hckynut  is right about us not being there.

It would be interesting to know how many of the jurors have a family dog. Some studies show that a pet owner is more likely to save his pet about to get hit by a car than a stranger about to get hit by a car. 

Yeah, that's all well and good BUT, the report from the medical examiner proved that dog was shot in such a way that was not near the officer (behaving in an agressive maner) @jubilant.  Some stuff is common sense.  The jury looked at the EVIDENCE.  We must also remember that a jury like this doesn't have to find "beyond a reasonable doubt."  They must weigh the preponderance of the evidence........

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis

I understand what you are saying.  You make some very valid points along with others.  I guess I just have a hard time believing that a policeman would shoot a dog that was appearing friendly and I can understand how a "rookie cop" might have totally misread the situation and made a poor decision. He shouldn't have lied about the shooting. That makes him look guilty....but was he? I  just am not sure but tend to think I might have done the same thing had I been faced with a dog that's body language said it might attack.   

Honored Contributor

A poorly trained dog should not automatically become eligible for the death penalty

Esteemed Contributor

Hansel said the evidence contradicted Price's testimony regarding how the shooting occurred.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/for_the_record/ph-ac-cn-vern-lawsuit-0510-20170509-story.html

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

It doesn't sound like the shooting was warranted in this case based on evidence. I'm not sure why you couldn't use pepper spray instead of going for a gun.  Cops are taught to aim at center mass if they use their guns and to shoot to kill, not injure so using it should be the last straw. 

Frequent Contributor

The lesson for police departments is this: if police officers are searching for a suspected criminal, likely armed and dangerous, in a neighborhood, do NOT go near the house with the dog to find the suspect.  Skip that house; let the dog defend that family. Because if the dog threatens the officer, and the officer believes it necessary to shoot the dog, a jury might second guess that decision, as in this case.  However, if my dog is posing a threat to a police officer who is defending my home and my neighborhood, then, I have to understand that my dog might die as a consequence. Would I be devastated?  Of couse. Does that mean I don't love dogs?  Certainly not.  It simply means that I understand that an officer's duty to protect my family ( the humans) and my neighbors (the humans) is more important than my dog.  

Honored Contributor

@Dash wrote:

The lesson for police departments is this: if police officers are searching for a suspected criminal, likely armed and dangerous, in a neighborhood, do NOT go near the house with the dog to find the suspect.  Skip that house; let the dog defend that family. Because if the dog threatens the officer, and the officer believes it necessary to shoot the dog, a jury might second guess that decision, as in this case.  However, if my dog is posing a threat to a police officer who is defending my home and my neighborhood, then, I have to understand that my dog might die as a consequence. Would I be devastated?  Of couse. Does that mean I don't love dogs?  Certainly not.  It simply means that I understand that an officer's duty to protect my family ( the humans) and my neighbors (the humans) is more important than my dog.  

Please tell me you don't own dogs.

Frequent Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Dash wrote:

Please tell me you don't own dogs.

You've got to be kidding.  Of course, I do.  But, as I stated, I respect police officers in the line of duty and value the lives of my children and neighbors over my dogs.  Yes, I love and value my friends and neighbors more than my dogs. I'm one of those kinds of horrible people.  I also value the lives of police officers more than any dog, including my own.