Honored Contributor

Re: DEER Wednesday 09/15/2021

[ Edited ]

The first Buck is so beautiful.  Looks like we have two fawns now.  And, the last picture -- I just love seeing you feed the deer and he is beauty and looks so innocent taking the food from you.  I can't help it but I am so glad the deer have this safe place to eat and relax.  @MamaWick  takes good care of the deer and they love you for it.  i did not notice anything wrong with the last two pictures except it looked like something was caught in his antler.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

The velvet is shed to prepare for the upcoming rut = when the males seek out the females for mating.  When the velvet is gone, the stark bone of the antlers remain and it is hard and a weapon that is used to fight off competing bucks for the females A hierarchy develops with the bucks with the largest antlers the most desirable to the females.  After the rut ends, the bucks have the antlers for a few months and then begin to shed them.  The cycle begins again in the Spring when the new nubs form and the antlers begin to grow getting nourishment from the velvet, which contain the veins & arteries to transport the nutrients needed to grow the antlers.

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick   Thank you for the beautiful pictures of your deer family.   There's always something new to learn about them.  

I, too, found the explanation of the deer antlers interesting and not a turn off.  Thank you for providing nourishment for these magnificent animals.  It must take a lot of energy for them from growth to loss of their antlers.  Mother Nature is indeed amazing.  

Woof to sweet Cricket in heaven.  Cricket, we miss you but feel confident that you are having a wonderful time at the bridge.  Please put in a good word or two for those of us who are not there.  💕

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Valued Contributor

Love seeing the little babies!  They are just so cute!

And no, those pics of the new Buckley didn't bother me.  I don't understand that whole process so I'm off to Google it after I'm done posting.

As always, love all the pics!  Beautiful deer always!  Heart

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick 

I'm impressed!  These photos are different .. not anyone of them taking a nap.  I like these just the same as always though.  

1st pic - buck's mouth is crooked & looks as though he's trying to speak to another deer?

2nd pic - loving the 2 does waiting their turn to eat & the 3rd one peeking around the tree

3rd pic - the 2 does look adventurous in the field

4th pic - I really can't tell there's blood as it doesn't show well in the photo .. therefore, I'm not squeamish. Woman Wink

5th pic - his eyes are bulging while eating from your hand.  I don't get the "rubbing the velvet off"?  Is it a natural thing for them to do?

Thanks as always for sharing.

Respected Contributor

@Drythe 

Very well said.  MamaWick certainly does!

Respected Contributor

@stellabystarlight 

Thank you for this information.  I should have read all the posts before posting mine .. Woman Embarassed

Do you work with the deer?

Respected Contributor

@sceniccoast  No, but I watch many deer sites on You Tube and have learned a lot about them.

Respected Contributor

@stellabystarlight 

Yes, you really have.  Nature shows are wonderful ways of learning.