Esteemed Contributor

Re: DEER Wednesday 09/09/2020

@MamaWick  This morning from my kitchen bay window I saw a yearling buck push his head in my Nandinas by the patio. 

I thought he was going to eat them but he circled around like a pup and made a bed. He rested there awhile until his mama walked past with the new fawn. Then he followed.

I'm surprised they still come even though I don't feed them they stop to say hello! They have been eating well I guess on shrubbery and grass. There are a lot of acorns and berries also. I feel guilty not feeding them but it's the law. 

I haven't seen my Buckaroo who looked like Buckley since Spring. I hope he's in the nearby park in the woods!

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

@maximillian  Yes, they eat soybeans.  I'm not sure if it is good for them.  Can't really stop them from eating things like corn when it's in the field.  They don't know that it can be harmful.  Yep, rinds go to them and don't stink up the garbage can...lol.

@MamaWick  The year the deer came to us we had just pruned, so there was a huge pile of wood branches, and when I saw them eating these, I googled, and read that if they are hungry, they will eat most anything.

Across the road, there is a property with lots of fruit trees, persimmons, etc., and the deer know when to pluck them.  I used to see deer almost daily, but ever since DD went off to college, I don't have to go out much, so havn't seen them much in many years.

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick 

Is that your precious Tracy?

Seems though she is holding her leg up, she looks very healthy otherwise.

She seems to be of decent weight and her coat is beautifully blonde.

I send you and your gorgeous managerie hugs - wishing all of you a safe rest of the week.

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick  After a long hard day of work, it's so soothing to see your beautiful deer. 

Thank you as always. Woofs for Cricket. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Trusted Contributor

@MamaWick  Thank for all the deer pics! Funny, but it looks as if they know it's picture time' and pose/look right in the lens. 😄  So beautiful!! ❤️ Can you pet any of them? 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

My dog and I walk the streets of a lovely cemetery every day.  There are lots of deer there and it's fun to watch them.  We also have deer on my street a lot.  I just wish they didn't poop near the south side of my house.

Esteemed Contributor

@MoonieBaby  Yes!  That is Tracy in picture 2, 3, and 4.  She does still hold the leg up, and limps, but the limp is so much better than it was.  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

We are in a chronic wasting disease area and are not allowed to feed.  We cooperate because it would be wonderful to save our local deer herd.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mimi 1883  they do like to pose, lol.  They will look at me even if I am in the MBR window (and many of my pictures are taken from there, through glass).  No, I don't pet them but the do get close enough.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix