Esteemed Contributor

20210304_161121.jpg

20210304_161219.jpg

20210304_161148.jpg

20210304_161031.jpg

20210304_161056.jpg

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

Re: DEER Monday 03/08/2021

[ Edited ]

That first photo is such a fascinating study!  Is it the colorful carrot with the muted colors of the buck, his antlers and the beige grass?  Not to mention the shape of the antlers playing off other objects in the photo.

I have no expertise in photography, but you are a gifted photographer IMHO, MamaWick. 

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick 

Somebody has still got his antlers, do you recognize him?

I knew about the shedding and re-growing, but had no idea it 

left such deep indentations in their heads.  It doesn't seem to bother them, I guess they wait until just the right time.  I've seen

them scraping them on trees too.

Thank you for sharing.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I wonder if they are relieved when they lose their antlers.  Carrying that weight might give them headaches.  Probably, not, but I imagine they would if I had them.

Then, I wonder what is it about carrots that animals like?  Horses, deer, and my dogs.  I don't think they are that tasty.  What other animals like carrots, maybe rabbits?

Esteemed Contributor

@MamaWick - he's looking at you as if to say - You aren't taking this carrot, are you? - thanks for the pics - Riley1

Honored Contributor

Re: DEER Monday 03/08/2021

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

I wonder if they are relieved when they lose their antlers.  Carrying that weight might give them headaches.  Probably, not, but I imagine they would if I had them.

Then, I wonder what is it about carrots that animals like?  Horses, deer, and my dogs.  I don't think they are that tasty.  What other animals like carrots, maybe rabbits?

Excedrin

Extra Strength Excedrin

Excedrin for Migraines

Excedrin For Deer With Antlers. 😄

@Foxxee 

My dogs liked carrots- cold, crunchy, and juicy, the fun part being crunchy.

Honored Contributor

That first picture-how beautiful!

I saw 3 deer early this morning!

I was so happy to see them.

I opened the door and there was that flash of white tail and heard them running off but I looked down the hill and called to them-"Hi sweetie pies!"

And they stopped and stared probably wondering what I was doing there and was I a harmless human?Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Oh they are beautiful. Thank you for sharing @MamaWick

Honored Contributor

Smiles, peaceful and uplifting seeing these gentle creatures.  I look forward to the Wick's daily photos of nature.  No matter how my day goes, this post is always a bright spot!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@Foxxee 

I grew up on a farm in the Blue Ridge mountains in a valley surrounded by the Blue Ridge Parkway off of the Appalachian Trail.

Animals (and children) love carrots because of the natural sugar which starts to metabolise in the mouth.