Honored Contributor

Two More College Hazing Incidents

[ Edited ]

One death.  One hospitalization in critical condition.  

Ohio University

"The teenager died inside a Sigma Pi Epsilon annex house in Athens, Ohio, where he was allegedly beaten with a belt, pelted with eggs, deprived of sleep and forced to take drugs and drink a gallon of alcohol in an hour, the lawsuit alleged.

Two Ohio University students pleaded guilty Thursday for their involvement in the hazing death of an 18-year-old freshman, prosecutors said."

2 Ohio University students plead guilty in 18-year-old's hazing death - ABC News (go.com)

Bowling Green State University

Another hazing incident at Bowling Green lands a student in the hospital in critical condition from alcohol consumption.  

Bowling Green State University student in critical condition after alleged fraternity hazing inciden...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Two More College Hazing Incidents

OMG!! I think it's about time that colleges & universities do away with fraternities. People don't send their kids to college to be tortured.

I think these "learning institutions " should be held accountable.Maybe then they will do the right thing.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

OMG!! I think it's about time that colleges & universities do away with fraternities. People don't send their kids to college to be tortured.

I think these "learning institutions " should be held accountable.Maybe then they will do the right thing.

@NicksmomESQ  I posted the same thing on the other thread about the student dying. They don't need these anymore especially if they are killing pledges.

Honored Contributor

Some schools have stopped the practice.  But most are still part of college life. And those incidents are the exceptions rather then the rules.  Most students have good experiences in them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When the Virginia student died last week, I was hoping for better coverage of his death -- something more on the national level.  The first time I viewed anything on his death was a day ago on ABC's nightly news when his death was presented along with the critical condition of the Bowling Green student.

To my mind, the news of the Virginia student might have been a warning, something to make young men involved in pledging to stop and think about what they are asked to do.

That did not happen (as far as I know) except for the segment I viewed about a week later on ABC's evening news show and mentioned above.

This is the first I've heard of the Ohio University student's death.  

My heart goes out to the family and friends of all these young men who were attempting to "belong."

Honored Contributor

What's the cost of belonging to a Frat? Curious what a student's parents pay for this privilege.

Pretty sad stories.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I cannot believe these activites continue to be permitted to go on on college & university campuses. This just sickens to hear this happened again.

Honored Contributor

No one is required to join a fraternity and while hazing is forbidden, students and most parents know it's still on going. 

Those members who have gone before who endured hazing themselves, are reluctant to give a pass to new comers.

Popularity has become paramount to parents and their children are well aware. Popularity and grades matter more than the honor, self-reliance, manners that were valued in the past. 

To be popular, one has to go alone with the in crowd, to get good grades for those lacking in ability means cheating.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

No one is required to join a fraternity and while hazing is forbidden, students and most parents know it's still on going. 

Those members who have gone before who endured hazing themselves, are reluctant to give a pass to new comers.

Popularity has become paramount to parents and their children are well aware. Popularity and grades matter more than the honor, self-reliance, manners that were valued in the past. 

To be popular, one has to go alone with the in crowd, to get good grades for those lacking in ability means cheating.

@occasionalrain  I never joined a sorority. I had many friends. My college was small, not a big university, that may make a difference. 

What you describe sounds horrible. Glad I never had to witness such ******.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

What's the cost of belonging to a Frat? Curious what a student's parents pay for this privilege.

Pretty sad stories.

hckynut 

@hckynut  Believe it or not, some kids work while in college. Not all parents pay for everything.