Honored Contributor

That all gave some and some gave all. Let us remember all who died to defend freedom, no matter what country.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for remembering it. My father was at Normandy and made it to shore from the boat while holding his rifle above his head to keep it out of the water. I get emotional when I see film clips of D Day and such brave young men.

Respected Contributor

There is no mention on the calendar anymore concerning June 6th, 1944.

I doubt if many younger people know what June 6th means with regards to the war.

The invasion of Normandy was the turning point of the war.

So many died.

So little is mentioned of it today.

So much has happened in the world so WWll just fades away, as does many other events.

I have my flags out.

Honored Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

There is no mention on the calendar anymore concerning June 6th, 1944.

I doubt if many younger people know what June 6th means with regards to the war.

The invasion of Normandy was the turning point of the war.

So many died.

So little is mentioned of it today.

So much has happened in the world so WWll just fades away, as does many other events.

I have my flags out.

@chiclets  It's on my calendar. D Day. Beach landing in Normandy is what it says. As far as kids not knowing this day, I don't know about any of the 'well known' days of WWI. So you can say the same thing about me with that. As long as us oldies remember WWII that's what counts.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: D DAY LET US NOT FORGET

[ Edited ]

@Desert Lily wrote:

Thank you for remembering it. My father was at Normandy and made it to shore from the boat while holding his rifle above his head to keep it out of the water. I get emotional when I see film clips of D Day and such brave young men.

Thanks to the poster for remembering D Day. I did see some info on TV in commeration  of D Day . I did watch the 75th anniversary ceremony  on June 6, 2019 . We should never forget how much we should thank all our Veterans and active duty service men/women and National Guard for protecting out Freedom ! I have my  flags out for all to see .

Honored Contributor

Re: D DAY LET US NOT FORGET

[ Edited ]

I worked in a museum.  It is mind numbing to get a glimpse into what the men from wwI and WWII went through, I won't even get into wars before tat.  They barely had enough to eat.  Most of the time they lived on K rations in the field. We have many items from those two world wars.  It is priceless   The clothes, and omg the helmets duringWWI were death traps.  No wonder they had shell shock so often.  and brain damage.  The clothes during WWI were wool, that shrunk, scratchy wool ...that never fit, shoes with no insoles, and many times , no socks. many times the had 2 different size shoes!   They went without soap , toothpaste and many comforts when in the battlefield over seas.  Imagine the terror in a foxhole, bombs, schrapnel flying.  Hungry, wet sleepless.  Makes me cry.  War is never easy, and as bad as things are even today, at least the clothes and gear are more comfortable and protective and the weapons better.

i salute every man who went through this and made it, and all those who didn't.  We should never forget.  Please pass it on to the kids.  I always tell my grandkids how uncomfortable and horrible the conditions were.  Our country was entering a pandemic in WWI, we were short uniforms, weapons, food, and armor.  There wasn't  enough  clothing to go around during WWI   It was awful  all wars are. We were just so unprepared and the brave men....boys really suffered, but rarely complained  what heroes,   Everyone,

Super Contributor

The really sad thing is young people today never learn about this in school anymore.  Hopefully we who are old enough can help our grandchildren learn & understand  how important yet trying these times were.  I have many memories of WWII even though I was a child.

Honored Contributor

My great nephew who is eleven is fascinated with WWII.  His bookshelves are filled with WWII books. he has  all sorts of memorabilia that his grandfather, my brother, has bought him and  I too have contributed to his collections.  No one in the family knows how this interest started but he is very much in to anything surrounding WWII.  Sometimes I say he is reincarnated !

I have not forgotten my WWII history and some of the stories my uncles passed along.  Heaven is filled with those brave souls who sacrificed their lives for their country.

Esteemed Contributor

@desertrat8 : You are right!  When I was in H.S. (1960-62) WWII was barely mentioned (but we learned all the Kings and Queens of Britain and Europe).  Even more amazing, no one mentioned the Holocaust (and my H.S. was predominately Jewish).  Finally, a parent (probably a Holocaust survivor) was given an afternoon to instruct us by showing "Nuremburg Trials"(not the movie, "Judgement at Nuremburg" ).  What an eye opener (and first time I had ever seen a dead person on film).  I went to Normandy right after my retirement and that really brought home what the Allied soldiers went through.

Honored Contributor
It really depends on where you go to school. I was in school in the 70s and early 80s. We spent a lot of time on World War II, including the Holocaust and the Nuremberg trials. On the other hand, there was pretty much zero time spent on kings and queens in Europe. Today, my neighbor’s kids learned about WWII in middle and high school. Very little mention of WWI and I don’t remember much about it when I was in school.