Honored Contributor

Re: Cuticles During Winter

[ Edited ]

Another thing...

My doctor told me to try and keep my hands out of water as much as possible and to wash them with warm or cool water, never very warm or hot water. During the wintertime it's only natural to want to bath/wash with very warm or hot water b/c it feels so good. But that's not good for the skin, nails or cuticles. In the warmer months we tend to wash with cooler water so then we don't notice the dryness and cracking so much.

Respected Contributor

They one thing I use 24/7 on my nails and cuticles, both feet and hands, is baby oil.  I have a small jar and inside I have a cotton ball soaked with baby oil.  Every night and everyday I take the cotton ball and wipe my nails and cuticles with it.  I use this on my nails and cuticles during the day too. Oh, I use it also on the heels of my feet and then put socks on.  Maybe it will help you.  The baby oil soaks into the skin and does not stay greasy.

Contributor

O'Keefe's hand cream, hands down, no pun intended!!

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

The second the weather turns cold my finger tips become deeply cracked, bleed and so sore I have to keep them wrapped after applying antibiotic cream or gel.  Costing me a fortune in band-aids, gauze, and Polysporin cream/gel.  

I've tried everything on the market and nothing has helped. Even tried diaper rash ointment.  It's not your everyday condition.  I wonder if I should go get some kind of prescription from a dermatologist.  Ugh.  Can't wait until winter is over.

@rms1954 

Wow ...  This is serious.    I can't help but wonder ... why haven't you seen a dematologist yet?  

Trusted Contributor

Sally Hansen Vitamin E Moisturizing Nail & Cuticle Oil ...

Someone on here recommended this cuticle oil and it is amazing, I just use it 1 time a day and rub it in and follow the directions and it helped me 100 %, Oils help alot. 

Respected Contributor

When I was still working, my thumbs always cracked open right at the tips. Like @Jacie , I started to use O'Keefe's and it really helped. I also like their heel cream.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Another thing...

My doctor told me to try and keep my hands out of water as much as possible and to wash them with warm or cool water, never very warm or hot water. During the wintertime it's only natural to want to bath/wash with very warm or hot water b/c it feels so good. But that's not good for the skin, nails or cuticles. In the warmer months we tend to wash with cooler water so then we don't notice the dryness and cracking so much.

I remember you posting that you use dish detergent,as a hand wash,  i find i need to wear gloves when washing dishes, now i love dawn for many things, i posted today how well it cleaned my tile floors.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

Chalk took its toll on my hands when I was teaching... very drying. I use Loccitane Shea butter on my fingertips and also use the hand cream on my hands a couple of times a day and at bedtime put it on my heels. I have been using the cream a little more often now that it has been so cold. Can really tell when the dry air hits my hands.  I swear by it; no problems with cuticles or dry hands. Also you may want to take Biotin as it aids nails, hair, and skin. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Another thing...

I remember you posting that you use dish detergent,as a hand wash,  i find i need to wear gloves when washing dishes, now i love dawn for many things, i posted today how well it cleaned my tile floors.

@goldensrbest 

Yes, I use the Dawn 'gentle' version. It's pink in color. Very gentle on my hands.