Honored Contributor

Cuticles During Winter

[ Edited ]

The second the weather turns cold my finger tips become deeply cracked, bleed and so sore I have to keep them wrapped after applying antibiotic cream or gel.  Costing me a fortune in band-aids, gauze, and Polysporin cream/gel.  

I've tried everything on the market and nothing has helped. Even tried diaper rash ointment.  It's not your everyday condition.  I wonder if I should go get some kind of prescription from a dermatologist.  Ugh.  Can't wait until winter is over.

Honored Contributor

I have resorted sometimes to filing mine with a fine glass file.  It works great.  I have never found any cream that was much better than anything else--prescription or not.

Oils seem to work as well or better--even olive oil.  

Honored Contributor

One thing I put on mine, with more attention needed to some for some reason, is this solid roll-on thing I have for heels.  I just take some of it with my thumbnail and put onto each cuticle area.  I usually do this in the evening after my hand lotion and I'm not going to be doing any more tasks for the evening, so that it stays there.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   The manicurist I used for a long time used to recommend I soak my fingers in warmed olive oil.  My cuticles dried terribly during the whole school year (chalk) with winter adding its own challenges.

Trusted Contributor

It's a common condition for many in the winter. The air inside and outside is very dry. Since the cracked skin is the same as a cut, I also use antibiotic ointment or petroleum jelly with a bandage until it heals. Make sure to wear gloves when outside. Try Vanicream moisturizer, it's sold just about everywhere.

vanicream.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

It's a common condition for many in the winter. The air inside and outside is very dry. Since the cracked skin is the same as a cut, I also use antibiotic ointment or petroleum jelly with a bandage until it heals. Make sure to wear gloves when outside. Try Vanicream moisturizer, it's sold just about everywhere.

vanicream.jpg

Never tried this.  I may give it a shot.  Tried all the oils but they do nothing except make my fingers oily LOL.  

Respected Contributor

I have used Dior Apricot Cuticle cream forever, and I reallly like it. If you need something more intense, try pure Shea butter from L'Occitane. It comes in a small tin ideal for the amount needed on cuticles.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cuticles During Winter

[ Edited ]

My skin was so dry during winter...cracks on the tips of my fingers, they bled. My nails were paper thin and split.  Nothing worked.

I don't know if it's the vitamins I began taking.  Can't think of anything else I did that caused such an improvement.

No more splitting nails. cracks and bleeding, nails are strong and firm, cuticles no longer raggedy.  I don't have to constantly use cream.  Before I was using Vaseline and gloves overnight, but that didn't help much.  

I began taking a multivitamin and C, D, E, B12, B6, folic acid, and zinc.  All OK with my dermatologist.  If you don't go out into the sun much, you might be low in Vitamin D.  Best to talk to your doctor.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Cuticles During Winter

[ Edited ]

I have scleroderma where my skin is very dry and my nails/cuticles suffer all year long. I have to use a humidifier all the time. I use Alpha Skin Care lotion with glycolic acid which helps keep my hands in good shape. The glycolic acid dissolves the dead skin and dry cuticles, softens/moisturizes them. I've tried many things but for me that lotion works the best.

Respected Contributor

I recently purchased O'keefe's Cuticle Cream, their hand and foot creams have been so good I thought I'd give it a go. Nice product! 

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield