Honored Contributor

Re: Curious --- what are schools like where you are?

I'm glad we don't have to make the decision about sending kids to school or not.

What our township is doing is, in my opinion, is ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

When school resumed here this fall, @Mellie32 ,  they decided on a combo system, but mostly in-person.

It was all in-person learning at the elementary schools, and as far as I know, still is. 

Older kids in high school have one day a week for distance learning, and the rest is in-person.

It's all in-person at the state-run post-secondary vocational school our son attends.  They observe all social distancing measures, and everyone entering has their temperature taken daily. 

When our son had cold-like symptoms over a month ago, he was required to remain home until he had a coronavirus test.  Luckily, he was negative, and returned to school.

So it's all much more in-person than the complete distance-learning model we had last spring.  Of course, the schools will remain flexible to adapt to changing conditions, should they need to.  Things have been working pretty well so far.

Honored Contributor

Our 7 year old grandchild lives with us (2nd grade).  He hasn't been out of our sight since March.  His school has virtual and in-school classes.  His school has said that around 50% are at home and 50% are in-school classes.   We wouldn't consider letting him go to school, but I understand it may be impossible for some parents to stay home with their children.

He hasn't been anywhere since March, but has kept in touch with the world through technology.  Thank goodness for technology.

Respected Contributor

Schools were hybrid.  Not anymore.  They had a increase in over 10 student cases and teachers in the middle school, so all remote now till 1/21.  They also cancelled all sports.

Honored Contributor

Los Angeles County is virtual. I know there was talk about letting special need or lagging kids come back to the classroom, but I don't know the status of that transition.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I have some friends still teaching. High school is all remote; they plan to go back in January. Elementary and middle are hybrid; they're supposed to go back full time after Thanksgiving. 

Rates are rising and parents are worried. The school board is meeting next week.

Most Catholic and private schools have been holding classes at the school as usual. I understand they have had few problems. Even though our high schools are remote we hear about positive cases among students all of the time. 

Honored Contributor

Schools opened here after Labor Day, and Covid has spread rapidly inside every local school in this county of southern WV.   Our numbers were low, and infections contained, until school started.  

Our Governor was dead set on in person learning, but I seriously doubt any student will view this year as successful, as they are not getting consecutive days in the classroom.  When teachers or students test positive here, the school is closed 2 days for cleaning.  By now, I can no longer keep up with whether schools near us are open or closed, I just ask my husband if he saw the school bus this morning!   

Many parents and students in WV chose virtual learning, and follow a standardized online program for their grade.   The state of WV is paying local teachers (who signed up for the extra duty assignment), to monitor the virtual learners, and grade their assignments.  

My daughter is one of those teachers, in addition to teaching her classroom of students.  She is putting in 12 hour days to meet the needs of 25 students.   The majority of her virtual students are doing their assignments incorrectly, even tho there are very clear instructions on what to do.   The students clearly cannot follow written instructions on their own, without clear examples, and verbal instructions from a teacher.   My daughter has identified several students who most likely will not have success with virtual learning.   

Students who choose the in person learning option, have paper packets, and online assignments from their classroom teacher to work on when the school is closed.   My daughters virtual students are from multiple counties; none are in her school district.   

Respected Contributor

MI just closed all high schools and colleges in person for 3 weeks.  Good.  Some people need to be dragged along still.

This did not have to happen.

Honored Contributor

I haven't a clue what's going on with public schools here in NYC.  

Parochial (Catholic) schools are open.  No issues that I'm aware of.

Honored Contributor

In my state, all schools from elementary through university are closed to in person students (with some exceptions) Everything is taught online.  Most probably the Spring Semester will be like this.   On our university, only freshman class is on campus.  And some lab work, which can't be taught online. This has been mandatory always for most universities.  The rest are home online classes. After Thanksgiving break, the Freshman will be back online with the university closed down. Even when I was in college 40% of school was on campus.  The rest, you were free to take online doing your 4 year college life. .