Honored Contributor

Re: Curious about taking down Christmas decor...

On 12/29/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

I don't need to understand why and when anyone puts up or takes down their decorations. Obviously they do it the way that pleases them! Why do any of you have to make assumptions about those whose timetable is different from yours?

I leave my trees up until after the New Year because I enjoy them. My daughter puts her tree up a week before Christmas and takes it down a day or two after Christmas because her house is small and the tree makes every day living more difficult. She still loves Christmas and enjoys decorating and not just for her boys.

Great post!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I put my decorations up the weekend before Thanksgiving and I took them down a few days ago.

I don't rush the season -- I enjoy it fully. That's why I decorate when I do. However, for me, once Christmas is over, I'm ready to take down the tree. Besides, with 2 little ones around, I really do need the space.

Trusted Contributor

I enjoy it, but it does feel nice, to me, to take it down and have the house back to where it was. I like christmas, but not for a month or two.

Super Contributor

On 12/29/2014 madzonie said:

if it's such a drag to decorate for Christmas, and you can't wait for it to be over, why decorate in the first place? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

It's just another thing you have to do when you have kids, family, etc. If I had it my way, I wouldn't celebrate any holidays. Just too much stress, work and a waste of money.

Valued Contributor

I enjoy my decorations on the early side of Christmas. I look forward to time with my family. I like the presents stacked high under the tree and the kitchen stocked with food and treats.

By the time Christmas is over, my family has gone back to their homes and lives, I feel bloated from all the goodies, and there is nothing left to anticipate.

My decorations are still up and I will take them down whenever is convenient.

By New Year's I am thinking more about the upcoming year (resolutions, planning vacations, upcoming expenses, investments, etc.)rather than the past Christmas. I don't think there's a right way to do Christmas. Do whatever works for you.

Respected Contributor

I hate taking the decorations down..............love decorating and think when it all comes down it's just so bland LOL..............but we wait until after Jan. 5th for the stuff to come down and then I sadly put them away until next year........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

I've always had, or tried to have, the week between Christmas and New Year's off. To me, it's still a celebratory time. So I wouldn't take the tree down before New Year's. But since my decor is winter themed, and my tree is woodland themed, I keep the tree up through mid January, and the other decor until beginning Feb, including lights inside the house, which are white, and candles in the windows.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero