Valued Contributor

I need some easy crock pot recipes. Preferably low cal. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Check out http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/ they have all kinds of recipes with a section of healthy recipes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Crock Pot Recipes

[ Edited ]

We like pot roast.  I use a 5 pound chuck roast, a can of Campbell's condensed cream of muchroom soup (oh,the horror!), 1/2 soup can of water, and a 1 ounce packet of dry onion soup mix.  Throw everything in the slow cooker and cook on high for about 6 hours. I also have a tasty recipe for chicken and dumplings, but it's loaded with calories.

Respected Contributor

I like to cook BBQ chicken in the crockpot. I buy a package of boneless skinless chicken thighs and pour a bottle of BBQ sauce over and cook on high for 4 hours. I shread the chicken about an hour before we eat on burger buns.

Honored Contributor

While dump cooking is definitely NOT my style, I do know this - there are tons of cookbooks for this sort of thing out there.  All you have to do is type in 'slow cooker cookbook' and you'll get more than you can handle.  Smiley Happy

OTOH, it's not exactly an artform so another choice is to just dump in there the ingredients and herbs and spices that you like, and some liquid - turn it on.  I always thought it was more fun to come up with my own creations.  

But the important thing is that if it turns out to be a hit, be sure to write down what you did so you can do it again.    That's where I failed with a couple of recipes I wrote years ago.  I forgot to get it all down and it ended up being a one-and-done.  Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

We like pot roast.  I use a 5 pound chuck roast, a can of Campbell's condensed cream of muchroom soup (oh,the horror!), 1/2 soup can of water, and a 1 ounce packet of dry onion soup mix.  Throw everything in the slow cooker and cook on high for about 6 hours. I also have a tasty recipe for chicken and dumplings, but it's loaded with calories.

Do you also add potatoes and carrotts to the crockpot?

Honored Contributor

@TaxyLady wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I don't because my husband prefers scalloped potatoes and green beans with this entree.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@TaxyLady wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I don't because my husband prefers scalloped potatoes and green beans with this entree.

You can because we do.  Just add a little extra water.  DH makes his this way.  I use a large can (1qt) of V8 in place of everything when I make it.  Gives it a more "stew" flavoring.  We enjoy both. Smiley Happy

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

We love pot roast in the crockpot too!

I also use a chuck roast.

I start with 2 packets of au jus (found with the envelope gravy), add water per package directions and add the roast with onion & minced garlic (about a teaspoon). Cook on high for about 6 hours.

After about 5 hours, I add potatoes (we prefer small red ones) and baby carrots.

The veggies cooked in the au jus is so good, you don't even need to add butter to them on your plate!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Pulled Pork for Sandwiches  is easy and good for a crowd.

Make the Pork in the Crockpot and then shred it. Its so Easy!  i was a little nervous making this but it practically does all the work for you!

Add Cornbread, Rolls, Cole Slaw and Corn on the Cob. Serve with Reds Hot Sauce or BBQ sauce.

Barbeque sauce - set aside 2 cups to mix in when the Pork has been shredded or serve on the side as a condiment

Recipe:

** Allow 8-10 hours on Low OR 6-8 Hours on High **

5 lb Pork Shoulder (bone-in is OK) aka Pork Butt or Boston Butt

Use FRESH (not smoked)  make sure not overly fatty,

(No need to brown any of these ingredients before adding)

Add To the Cooker/Crockpot

Base:

2  thin sliced onions
    4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed

1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar**  [OR chicken stock/broth (you can use low-sodium)]

** The Apple Cider vinegar really gives the pork a kick. Just a cup will   do it. It will marry with the spices and give the Pulled Pork a zesty flavor

Rub for Pork: Mix together:

1 Tablespoon each:

brown sugar
     chili powder
     kosher salt

plus
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Rub spices into Pork, place in cooker, with garlic, onions and ACV,  set temp. (Low 8-10 hrs /  High 6-8) (my cooker runs hot. i cooked mine for 5 hours on high)

When done the meat will be very soft,  Remove pork from cooker/crockpot. Strain the juices through a sieve and remove any bits of bone. Reserve the onions and pour strained liquid into a bowl. I used a gravy separator to get rid of extra fat.  This makes a lot of liquid so I needed 2 large bowls.

Shred the pork with two forks. This is so easy ! It will be very soft and take just minutes. Remove any thick sections of fat  and any bone.

Return shredded pork to cooker with onions and and strained liquid. I only add back enough liquid to make it moist.

At this point you can mix in the prepared BBQ sauce if you like.

I serve the separated pork jus as a side along with the BBQ sauce as a side.