Respected Contributor

What does "invalid HTML" mean

Can someone tell me what it means?

Honored Contributor

Re: What does "invalid HTML" mean

@Big Sister, If you're referring to this message:

"Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

It simply means the post was checked for code that might be problematic.  When you see it, just go ahead and click/tap "POST" and you'll see that your reply will be posted with no problem.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Big Sister, If you're referring to this message:

"Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

It simply means the post was checked for code that might be problematic.  When you see it, just go ahead and click/tap "POST" and you'll see that your reply will be posted with no problem.

Thank you for this explanation. I've seen that a couple of times and since I had no idea what to do I justs clicked post and it went thru. Nice to know what it actually means.

Respected Contributor

Okay, don't laugh at me. What does it mean "code that might be problematic"?

Respected Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

Okay, don't laugh at me. What does it mean "code that might be problematic"?

i'm with you on that question, hennypenny!

especially since i am not someone who randomly inserts 'code' into my posts. lol.

Trusted Contributor

what codes? LOL!!!!!
Respected Contributor

Phew! thought I was the only one who didn't have a clue.

I am willing to learn though.

Frequent Contributor

HTML is the code used to make websites appear the way they look on your screen.  If you are on a Windows computer, you should be able to right click on this page and choose "View Source" to see what the HTML code for this page looks like. 

If you included certain symbols in your post, such as % signs or colons, the system may be thinking you are trying to add some code to the page. Since QVC doesn't want you doing anything to change the page, the part that looks like code will be flagged as "invalid HTML" and dropped when you post the message.

Respected Contributor

@Gioiella wrote:

HTML is the code used to make websites appear the way they look on your screen.  If you are on a Windows computer, you should be able to right click on this page and choose "View Source" to see what the HTML code for this page looks like. 

If you included certain symbols in your post, such as % signs or colons, the system may be thinking you are trying to add some code to the page. Since QVC doesn't want you doing anything to change the page, the part that looks like code will be flagged as "invalid HTML" and dropped when you post the message.

thank you gioiella!!!

i am guilty of colon overuse, and so NOW i totally understand why i am constantly getting that message.

i am going to change my ways! 

Respected Contributor

Thank you for your answers and explanations.

Frankly, I have not used codes since I left the CIA.