Honored Contributor

I have no issue with CC. I think it is ridiculous to judge a 15th century man by 21st century standards some of which are no better 6 centuries later in how we treat one another today.  

Most important for me, it is Italian American heritage day so I am actually celebrating myself and all of my fellow Paisans too.  Ciao gente!  

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@traveler@I hate to admit I clicked on this thinking it was a health problem

@dex  OMG I just spit out my coffee!!!  LMAO!

You owe me a new keyboard.

LOLOLOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Cristobal Colon

[ Edited ]

And we all know he did not 'discover' America at all. That part of history is wrong.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cristobal Colon

[ Edited ]

@traveler  ???

Cristobal Colon is Spanish for him, not Christopher Columbus.

He was born in Italy as Cristoforo Colombo.  Columbus is the Anglicized version of Colombo.

By all historical accounts this is the explanation for the variations.

Honored Contributor

btw:  Colon, as part of the intestine, is "colon" in Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, and American English.  (I can't put in the accent marks).

In German it is Dickdarm. 

I'm just sayin'.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I have no issue with CC. I think it is ridiculous to judge a 15th century man by 21st century standards some of which are no better 6 centuries later in how we treat one another today.  

Most important for me, it is Italian American heritage day so I am actually celebrating myself and all of my fellow Paisans too.  Ciao gente!  

You kind of summed it up in a nutshell with your first paragraph. 

But we have to be PC and hate anything that lead us to where we are today, rather than study it and learn from it.

Honored Contributor

It's true, the Americas were never lost so he didn't discover anything.  That whole Columbus thing is just a fairytale, there's little to no truth in what we learned in school. 

Honored Contributor

Image result for christopher columbus memes

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

You kind of summed it up in a nutshell with your first paragraph. 

But we have to be PC and hate anything that lead us to where we are today, rather than study it and learn from it.

@Mominohio  We are not learning about the discovery of America from the story of Christopher Columbus.  Native Americans, Vikings, etc. were here long before the incorrect story that CC discovered what is now America, specifically the USA.

It isn't "PC" to recognize that CC was not "all that" to the indigenous peoples.  THAT is what we learn from but sadly some have not taken one bit of that learning and applied it to today.

Being PC is refraining from slurs, stereotyping, and other hurtful actions against others.  It has nothing to do with pointing out that CC, among others, was not a good person to those he considered beneath him.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Laura14  I'm positive that the indigenous peoples CC hurt would not agree that it is "ridiculous".  Of course, they are not around to speak up.

Whether the 15th century or the 21st century, cruelty to others is the same no matter who did it and to whom.

There are no expiration dates.