Honored Contributor

Credit back on a credit card.

How long can it take to see a credit show up on a credit card ? It has been about two days since I  received the credit.  I have checked the credit card website and no credit shows up yet.  I do have a receipt for the credit from the store.  If it normally takes a while I will just be patient. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Credit back on a credit card.

It can take a while. Convenience has its issues. Be patient and if there is no notice in a couple of weeks--contact their customer service. 

Trusted Contributor

It takes seconds for the purchase amount to come out of your account and easily 4 to 5 days for a credit to show up.  If it was only 2 days ago,  I would give it a few more days.

Hold onto that credit receipt!

Trusted Contributor

It generally takes five to seven business days. And even though business is now done seven days a week, weekends don't count.

Esteemed Contributor

Speaking of receiving a credit back in a timely fashion:  DH and I received a bill from a large Opthamalogist chain for his cataract surgeries.  The bill was for $1100 when in fact we owed nothing and in fact had paid $1700 for an upgraded implant that wasn't necessary ( we were told on Oct 12th).  There was no mention of impending refund in addition to incorrect bill.  I knew we didn't do we anything as procedure is covered 100 percent by Medicare and our supplemental.  When over billing issue was resolved, I asked when we would get $1700 ( paid by check 3 weeks ago); the answer was 6-8 weeks!!!! This is a corporation with over 40 offices in Arizona.  They couldn't give me a reasonable answer as to why.  I told them that, although we are very happy with both surgeries and the lack of the $1700 wasn't a hardship, they need to address this issue.  Eventually someone will contact a tv consumer station  about this and then there'll be really bad publicity. Gal answering my questions didn't feel empowered to address this but we will with our Dr, who is a part owner.  Since 95% of their patients are elderly, and many (I'm sure) would be hurt by such an untimely refund, this just makes the whole refund issue worse.

Respected Contributor

I think many businesses keep the money up to the point where they legally have to release it. That may depend state by state. They'd rather have the money in their account than in yours for as long as possible.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

How long can it take to see a credit show up on a credit card ? It has been about two days since I  received the credit.  I have checked the credit card website and no credit shows up yet.  I do have a receipt for the credit from the store.  If it normally takes a while I will just be patient. 

@SeaMaiden  .... I would say about a week before the credit shows up 😉

Trusted Contributor

I have another tip for you ladies. If you pay for your purchase with a debit card and you use it as debit, that is considered a cash transaction. So if you have to return the item, you can get a cash refund. Most stores will ask you if you want your card credited, say no

you'll take cash. If you think it takes long to get a refund on your credit card, it takes even longer to get your debit card credited. The amount you paid for the item you bought is credited off your debit before you walk to your car. Sometimes it takes up to two weeks to get it put back on your debit card. The only exception would be if the store has something posted about only  crediting your card. I have only seen this once.

Esteemed Contributor

My Debit card is credited instantly when used as Debit but my Debit Card when used as Credit takes 3 days.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden For me, charges to my card normally post in one to two business days, but refunds seem to take a couple of days longer, usually three to four.