Trusted Contributor

I use CC's 99% of the time on line only ....one designated card only. I never use them physically in stores. I do carry the one designated card with me just in case of an emergency...but it never leaves my wallet. I wrap it in foil.  I see people who's wallets are stuffed full of credit cards!  Why would anyone need that many with them everyday?  I use cash for almost all of my daily local purchases. I think people are too addicted to credit cards...leads to trouble.

Trusted Contributor

@brii wrote:

Many times the clerks do not even handle your card.  Customers just run it through themselves

This is true.

Super Contributor

@brii wrote:

It's such a pain.

The criminals are always one step ahead...

It seems they always are....

“There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.” Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@lmtep wrote:

They should go back to the earlier days when you used to have to show other proof of identity.  Really bad when the employees of the credit card company issuing the card can't be trusted.

The fraudulent purchases are usually made online, no proof needed, just CC info.

Mine was hacked that way and so was my daughter's.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

I had card info stolen on a Visa a while ago, and my QVC account was hacked last year as well.  I've gone in and set up every account I own to text me immediately on every transaction.  Much better than just checking your account daily or even a couple of times a day.  I'm sure Chase has that capability as well.  If you get a notification and it's not you using your credit you can immediately contact them and stop it.

Super Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

I went through the same thing, imo Chase handled it well.

My daughter is going through the same thing RIGHT NOW with another bank and they are saying it's all up to her to deal with.  SAY WHAT?

I suggested she get rid of her card for good and get one like mine where they take the responsibility.

ONE WAY IT'S DONE: I've heard this is often the way it goes.  The name and card # is taken by those who make the cards, then they sell the info online.  Mine was said to have been done that way.

You know I wonder if that's what happened to me since I recently received a new card with the chip and then not too long after this happened.

“There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.” Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

I had card info stolen on a Visa a while ago, and my QVC account was hacked last year as well.  I've gone in and set up every account I own to text me immediately on every transaction.  Much better than just checking your account daily or even a couple of times a day.  I'm sure Chase has that capability as well.  If you get a notification and it's not you using your credit you can immediately contact them and stop it.

Buck, I remember when that happened to you.  I made sure I set up text alerts on every card that we have. 

I put a text alert on my kids' cards too. 

It may not be 100%, but at least I know what's going on right away. 

Esteemed Contributor

Credit Card info can be stolen even when the card never leaves your possession.

It's called skimming.

The bad guys will purchase a device that can read credit card info, hide it in like a backpack or someplace, walk past you, and as they walk past, the device will pick up your credit card information.

That's how most people get their cards stolen.

At the credit card factory, computers and machines make your credit card.

Another machine puts in in to the envelope, seals it, and batches of them go out in to the mail.

Regular Contributor

I've always wondered how the credit card companies know that it is not you making a purchase at a particular store, especially if you shop at various stores. How can they tell?

Honored Contributor

@MissBonBon wrote:

I've always wondered how the credit card companies know that it is not you making a purchase at a particular store, especially if you shop at various stores. How can they tell?

Mine was from the Midwest, I live on the West coast, and it was for an unusual product ordered online.

My daughter's card had multiple purchases from a country in Europe and one from another state.  They red-flag oddities like that.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices