Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Could have saved if I had gone to gas station Friday!!

@RainCityWoman

Nope, don't know the mpg that a Hum V burns, nor do I care. If someone wants a particular type of motor vehicle to get from point A to point B, if it's within their budget, it doesn't effect my life. 

If that were the case, there are many things that are not practical, nor affordable for my fixed income life. No shortage of gas around our area, at least that I know about. I used to drive Muscle Cars, several of them over the years.

Why? Because cars were a big part of my life, and I enjoyed driving them. I did not buy them to suit those that prefer their motor vehicles for just the practicality of getting from point A to B. I bought them for me with my money and the enjoyment I got going from getting from A to B.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@RainCityWoman

Nope, don't know the mpg that a Hum V burns, nor do I care. If someone wants a particular type of motor vehicle to get from point A to point B, if it's within their budget, it doesn't effect my life. 

If that were the case, there are many things that are not practical, nor affordable for my fixed income life. No shortage of gas around our area, at least that I know about. I used to drive Muscle Cars, several of them over the years.

Why? Because cars were a big part of my life, and I enjoyed driving them. I did not buy them to suit those that prefer their motor vehicles for just the practicality of getting from point A to B. I bought them for me with my money and the enjoyment I got going from getting from A to B.

hckynut(john)

The Hum Vee was never meant to be an urban vehicle. It was a desert war vehicle which came out of Desert Storm.  And I believe I have as much right as you do to have an opinion on it. Sorry to disappoint you, but I stand by what I said. Why? Because I can.

Trusted Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@software wrote:

Gas is not stored.    Those tank farms only hold gas briefly until the time it's moved to it's final destination which is usually wholesale gas terminals.  Tank farms are placed at junctions of major and minor pipelines or at locations where it can be loaded on a barge, or a wholesale terminal for truck loading, for example.   It's just a holding area, like a parking lot.   The product is moving all the time. At the tank farm, the different volumes of product are either sent on it's way on the main pipeline or peeled off to go to feeder lines based on whoever owns the product.

We use so much gas & diesel daily in the US, what is the point of storage?   Inventory costs money, you have to move product out to make money.

And whatever product was in "storage" at the time of the hurricane is way gone by now.

The price of gas, just like the price of crude, depends on the market.   It's whatever the "market will bear".   The product is traded all during the day, just like stocks on the stock market.   Prices go up & down all day until it settles on 1 daily price at the end of the day.    

Then why are only some of the gas stations charging $20 per gallon during a disaster and not all of them? It's gouging, period. But does the AG have the time to prosecute them all? $100 for a gallon of water? 

$100 a gallon is definitely gouging and they do prosecute those people if it gets reported. A lot of people here are saying the prices rising by 30 or 40 cents is gouging.

@software explains this well. Prices are constantly moving and we use over 300 million gallons a day in the US. Buying is going on constantly.

I did see that the gas futures are down so that means the market believes things will be settling down. Hopefully refineries get back up soon and the pipelne that runs north.

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@software wrote:

Gas is not stored.    Those tank farms only hold gas briefly until the time it's moved to it's final destination which is usually wholesale gas terminals.  Tank farms are placed at junctions of major and minor pipelines or at locations where it can be loaded on a barge, or a wholesale terminal for truck loading, for example.   It's just a holding area, like a parking lot.   The product is moving all the time. At the tank farm, the different volumes of product are either sent on it's way on the main pipeline or peeled off to go to feeder lines based on whoever owns the product.

We use so much gas & diesel daily in the US, what is the point of storage?   Inventory costs money, you have to move product out to make money.

And whatever product was in "storage" at the time of the hurricane is way gone by now.

The price of gas, just like the price of crude, depends on the market.   It's whatever the "market will bear".   The product is traded all during the day, just like stocks on the stock market.   Prices go up & down all day until it settles on 1 daily price at the end of the day.    

Then why are only some of the gas stations charging $20 per gallon during a disaster and not all of them? It's gouging, period. But does the AG have the time to prosecute them all? $100 for a gallon of water? 

Blame the retailer, not the refinery for price spikes at the pump.   The refinery bases their wholesale price on the market, supply & demand and speculation.   And if their state or county declared a state of emergency, the prices are capped.   

If someone reports the retailer and an investigation proves gouging, the retailer will be fined.   If they ignore the fine, they will have all the licenses to operate pulled.  There's no prosecution.   There's evidence, then a hefty fine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@RainCityWoman

hckynut(john)

The Hum Vee was never meant to be an urban vehicle. It was a desert war vehicle which came out of Desert Storm.  And I believe I have as much right as you do to have an opinion on it. Sorry to disappoint you, but I stand by what I said. Why? Because I can.

Whatever their origin, whatever their intent, the civilian 'Hummer" versions are ludicrous, especially for routine transportation and fortunately, I'm seeing fewer and fewer of them. I believe they stopped making them. Some of them lacked routine safety equipment, the gas mileage was laughable and they were often a challenge to park. They represented a potential danger to smaller vehciles and some reports indicated that those driving them were cited for more traffic violations than the average driver of other vehicles... They served little useful purpose other than driver vanity. Freedom of choice is one thing, making stupid choices is altogether something different...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I never pay attention to gas prices. They are what they are!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

So annoying.  I usually fill my car (always at 1/2 tank) on Thursday/Friday - should have known that they would be "gouging" in FL (there is no cap I believe like other states where they can only raise a nickel or something). 

Wed - gas was $2.19

Thursday - gas was $2.29

Friday -- gas was $2.39

today - 

$2.69 regular

$2.99 premium

Ridiculous!  I felt sorry for the truck next to me - kept going til $74 ...

@homedecor1

So .....  if I have this right, your tank was half full and you filled it on Saturday?  Not sure what kind of car you have or how many gallons in your tank, but if that half tank was 6 gallons, you paid a whopping $1.80 more on Saturday than you would have on Friday.   Not the end of the world and at least the gas was available!

Here in Los Angeles, I paid $2.85 at my favorite cheap gas station last week.  I was grumbling because the time before that, I only paid $2.71.   But I figured, what the heck, my half tank is 6 gallons and what can you do about it?   So I bit the bullet and paid $2.85.  Today I drove by that same station and the gas was $3.06 ....  making me feel better about what I paid.

I also never let my tank get below half full .....  because of snow storms growing up in Western NY, and now because traffic jams happen all the time .... so a half tank is the lowest I'll go.   

Since this isn't something you can "buy on sale" and stock up, it just is what it is.  

We have a refinery in Torrance CA but it's proximity never seems to mean anything when it comes to price fluctuations.   I don't know what that is about.  

Honored Contributor

I don't understand people whining about a few dollars extra to fill up.  

And if you drive a big gas hog and whine to me you can talk to the hand.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44

Really taking & making my orig post BIG BOLD & RED then your reply BIG BLUE & BOLD -- did I annoy you that much! SMH 

(perhaps you should head over to the thread "gas prices" - guess I'm not alone lots of posters stated gas prices.)

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44

Really taking & making my orig post BIG BOLD & RED then your reply BIG BLUE & BOLD -- did I annoy you that much! SMH 

(perhaps you should head over to the thread "gas prices" - guess I'm not alone lots of posters stated gas prices.)

@homedecor1

???   I didn't find you the least bit annoying ...  not sure where you got that from!  

Of course gas prices are going up everywhere.   Unfortunately, in California, our prices are about 70 cents a gallon more than in some parts of the country, so 20 cent jumps elsewhere don't seem like a big deal.  JMO