Honored Contributor

No.  Just no.  LOL

I was surprised to see these in our local WF-at a hefty price per lb. 

I bought only 1 apple.

First, I see those small markings on other apples so to me the markings on the Cosmic variety didn't stand out as anything special.  Certainly not enough to think the apple looked like the universe in some way.

The taste?  Crisp as a Honeycrisp would be, considering it's a hybrid of the Honeycrisp variety.  However, it was very sour-and not the Granny Smith kind of sour.

Sour enough to give some chills.  LOL

For the price and all the hype, there was nothing special about this Cosmic variety.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I found them to be very tarte sweet.... a honey crisp but more tarte.  They are going for about $2.99 here in the Seattle area right now.... a bit over my apple budget.  Hoping here in the next few seasons that they will come down some. 

Contributor

Cosmic Crisp apples are great!  They were developed by Washington State University agriculture department over a 20 year span.  My daughter attends Washington State University, therefore I will support the efforts of the WSU student community.  We are raving about the apples over here in the Pacific Northwest.  Go Cougs! 

Honored Contributor
@Cakers3. Those were a one-and-done for me too. 👎
Everything you said plus the skin was too thick! Yuk.

When I mentioned the skin to a friend in WA state (famous for their apples of course) she said that makes sense because cosmics are supposed to last longer than honeycrisps so the skin protects them better if thick.
I'll stick to honeycrisps which I love.
Trusted Contributor

I bought a couple to try. 

In my area, they are the same price or cheaper than Honeycrisp apples ($2.99-$3.99 per lb.)

I like a tart, crisp apple, so I thought that the Cosmic was as good as a Honeycrisp (my favorite).  I'll buy whichever one is "cheaper", since neither one is cheap.

Honored Contributor

I bought one at Trader Joe's last week. $1.69 for one.  I think they're great, though I don't think they're significantly different from Honeycrisps.  I was going to buy another today, but they were sold out.

Honored Contributor

I also tried one and it was good but Pink Lady is still my favorite.

Respected Contributor

I was surprised to find cosmics at my supermarket, clear across the county in Philadelphia.  $2.99 a lb.   To me, perfect combo of tart and sweet.  I sliced one up today and put a little bit of peanut butter on the slices. Delicious !

Honored Contributor

Haven't seen them yet, but when I do I'll buy one to try.