Respected Contributor

This just in..

1st case of coronavirus from China confirmed in U.S.

The patient is an individual in Washington state.

Federal health officials have confirmed that a case of coronavirus has been diagnosed in Seattle. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said they will begin screening passengers at two additional U.S. airports: Atlanta and Chicago O'Hare.

The outbreak has spread from the central Chinese city of Wuhan to cities including Beijing and Shanghai, the CDC said on Tuesday. Cases have also been reported outside China, including in South Korea, Thailand and Japan. At least six have died.

The patient in the U.S. is a male in his 30s and is currently in good condition, the CDC said. He arrived in the U.S. around Jan. 15 after visiting Wuhan.

Airport screenings did not begin until Jan. 17. The patient, who is a U.S. resident, did not have symptoms when he arrived, but had read about the virus online and when he started to develop symptoms, he immediately reached out to his health care provider.

The case in the U.S. comes amid rising concern that the illness could be transmitted through so-called super-spreaders — highly infectious patients with the ability to sicken dozens at once.

more info on NBC News...

Respected Contributor

@MorningLover   Wow.  I saw about the China outbreak on this morning's news, but didn't know it had reached the US already.  Thankfully, that man was wise enough to seek help as soon as he had symptoms.  I wonder what other people he's been in contact with since he came home.  Very scary.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

i just read that too.  it is scary. it could easily cause a huge outbreak all over the US  Smiley Sad

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: Coronavirus

[ Edited ]

As my mother used to say..wash your hands!! My 
grand’s pediatrician gave very good advice regarding flu season..,wipe down your steering wheel, outside doorknobs once you get home, I think it is a very good idea. Just think of the germs you may be bringing into your car and into your home after being just about anywhere.
I hope the current health scare with the coronavirus is eradicated soon. Quite scary of it were to spread.

Honored Contributor

My very first thought was "geez, this is just like the story Contagion". If you don't want to read the book, watch the movie. Considered one of the best regarding the spreading of a virus world-wide.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

As my mother used to say..wash your hands!! My 
grand’s pediatrician gave very good advice regarding flu season..,wipe down your steering wheel, outside doorknobs once you get home, I think it is a very good idea. Just think of the germs you may be bringing into your car and into your home after being just about anywhere.
I hope the current health scare with the coronavirus is eradicated soon. Quite scary of it were to spread.

I do that all the time.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I think there  is a Coronavirus vaccine for dogs, probably combined with other vaccines. I haven't heard it mentioned, but would hope there could be one for humans.

Honored Contributor

I'm very glad the man had the good sense to seek medical treatment!!

Respected Contributor

Visiting FL and heard the priest announce at Mass that with this flu season: no handshaking and no Chalice at Communion time.

A very wise move in this scary time !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

I think there  is a Coronavirus vaccine for dogs, probably combined with other vaccines. I haven't heard it mentioned, but would hope there could be one for humans.

@1Snickers, this is the first thing I thought of as well. Dogs can get coronavirus and there is a vaccine for it.