Super Contributor

Advice please for young adult daughter finding online love in another country

Red flags all around this-I am heartsick that my daughter, of legal adult age,

has fallen for a guy from another country. She talks of flying over there to meet him.

Of course I know how horrible this sounds and could be. I have strongly told her my objections.

She has known him via the gaming world for over 7 years and recently she has taken a liking to him in a boyfriend sense and he too I guess.

She does not have an interest in local men, she says. 

So why would she risk flying around the world to meet a stranger and not risk meeting a local guy for a cup of coffee? 

Very nervous scared mom here looking for words of wisdom to stop this nonsense. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice please for young adult daughter finding online love in another country

My advice is to go with her. Make sure she is safe.

Honored Contributor

Re: Advice please for young adult daughter finding online love in another country

You need to chaperone this, and don't let her go alone.  

Honored Contributor

Have her binge watch '90 Day Fiancee' for an idea of all the things that can go wrong.

From being a con man after money, already married, drug and gambling addictions, anger management issues, violent, etc.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Don't forget kidnapping and human trafficing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

not enough information,,,,there would be too many considerations to have a meaningful conversation here.  Just remain loving, calm. and keep the communication open,  express your concerns so she can listen.  A lot depends on her age and both of their maturity levels. She would benefit from a loving rational mom at this time,  If this situation accelerates, under no circumstances would I allow her to travel alone.

Honored Contributor

I understand your worry. The fact it is a gaming site, is also a bit of a red flag for me..I would advise having him investigated before it goes any further

An attorney might be able to advise you..I wouldn't do this behind her back. I would tell her that for her own safety ,she needs to be sure what sort of person he is

Trusted Contributor

I can only imagine how scared you must feel.

My first question is what country?  a certain few are immediate red flags.

Do you know this man's name?  If so can you do some Google and Facebook searching

If they know each other only through gaming - do they ever have Skype conversations outside of the game?  Maybe suggest that you would like to meet this "boyfriend" through a Skype type conversation so you can start to get a feeling for what he is up to.

Honored Contributor

Things like this are scary.  There are a lot of crazy people in this world. It's situations like this that I'm glad I had all boys.  

Trusted Contributor

Why doesn't he fly here to see her, instead of her flying to him ??