Trusted Contributor

Re: Corona... overkill... does anyone

@reiki604 wrote:

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

Corona isn't nearly as contagious as other diseases, and it has a high survival rate.  I'm washing my hands as usual and living my life.

The panic from the media and stock market is ridiculous.

We do not know this or how much the virus has spread due to delayed and inadequate testing. We are far behind most of the world in our response and continued inaction.

No, we're not.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I'm out and about, I don't see concern. People are talking about the cruise their parents are on and how much fun they had going through the Panama Canal. Others are planning on going to basketball games and parties. I never hear the virus mentioned. Now I take it seriously enough to plan shopping trips early - today there were three cars at the market when I got groceries at 8am. When I got home, I thoroughly washed up.

Respected Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

Reading over some of these responses, I'm amazed that some ppl have gotten this old w/nobody telling them what to do and how to do it. @Pook is right, as are others. We get it, you don't care about anyone else, how kind of you, we are different, we have friends, neighbors and relatives that we know we could spread germs to so we take logical precautions.

As I said once before, we have to look out for the ones who are too SELFISH to care about anyone but themselves. Thank goodness there are ppl in high places who have to cancel trips, etc. for the ppl who won't use their brain.

Sounds like you are ok with taking away your rights.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

When I'm out and about, I don't see concern. People are talking about the cruise their parents are on and how much fun they had going through the Panama Canal. Others are planning on going to basketball games and parties. I never hear the virus mentioned. Now I take it seriously enough to plan shopping trips early - today there were three cars at the market when I got groceries at 8am. When I got home, I thoroughly washed up.

Good for them for going about their lives.  The percentage of infected in this country is very, very low.  I am sorry for the ones who have died and are sick.  BUT the flu is much worse than this virus at this point in time.  We all should take the necessary health precautions to guard against any virus.  

Honored Contributor

This virus is deadly for older people so far, but any age could die from it if they happen to have any other medical issues. Hate to see anyone just laugh this off...not a smart thing to do. Be aware, but don’t freak out.
Honored Contributor

Current info:
If you don’t self-quarantine, you can be put into a federal hospital such as the VA. That would make me stay inside my home! Homeland Security can enforce quarantine if necessary. Doubt it would ever come to this, but apparently the law gives that dept the authority to do this.
Respected Contributor

I wonder if people realize that many more people not counted in virus statistics just haven't been tested for it yet.  That's where the uncertainty lies about how extensively this bug might bite and how many  have been exposed and are unknowingly exposing others.

Thousands of more tests are becoming available and many more people no doubt will be tested, but we still don't know a whole lot about what we're dealing with--or where.

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I wonder if people realize that many more people not counted in virus statistics just haven't been tested for it yet.  That's where the uncertainty lies about how extensively this bug might bite and how many  have been exposed and are unknowingly exposing others.

Thousands of more tests are becoming available and many more people no doubt will be tested, but we still don't know a whole lot about what we're dealing with--or where.

You cannot test everyone.  The symptoms mimic the flu and in a mild case perhaps just a cold.  How many people are never "tested" for those things each year. So the true number each year is never known.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Heard this morning that Germany has set up "drive-thru" testing sites.  People get the test, go home and await results in 12 -24 hours.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I have noticed little attention is given to babies and other small children; I know they are usually at high risk for having the flu be very serious for the, along with older people. Does the corona virus pose a big risk to the very young age group or is it only the elderly who need to be so careful?

@lovesrecess, Dr. Ashton just addressed this on GMA this morning. She said for some reason, babies and very smallchildren seem to be immune from this.