Respected Contributor

Re: Corona... overkill... does anyone

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter 

I can offer one answer to your question, which was...

<<What is the reason for the panic in the stock market, and how can it be stopped?>>

Stock prices will stabilize when investors are convinced that company earnings justify the share prices.  This virus outbreak severely affects the profits and revenues of  businesses in just about every economic sector (except   maybe those companies which produce and sell the personal care products that everyone is buying out of every store lately!).

Bank stocks are plunging as interest rates fall, because worried investors are  getting out of risky stocks and piling into "safe" U.S. bonds.   When bonds are in great demand, their prices rise and their interest yields fall.

When interest rates fall, banks can't make much money making  loans to customers for cars, home mortgages, and other purposes.

Go buy a house!  Mortgage rates are at the lowest point in U.S. history!

Energy stocks have dropped because Saudi Arabia decided to get into a price war with Russia.  (I couldn't believe the low price on gas I bought recently.)

I've been trading stocks for a long time and maintain a good-sized account, so I stay tuned to CNBC and other financial outlets almost every day.

These are dark days in the markets, but the sun will shine again in the financial world.  No one can predict, however, when that will be.

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 I know I do!  This is something that is a new disease and has not had a vaccine to counteract it like other flus and it is an inknown as far as even treating it  AND it spreads much more rapidly than your average flu!!  Downplay it if you want but we all are at risk until more is known about how to stop the spread.  I am   not in a panic about it but like others stated even if you don't get it you could pass it on to so many.  I can't imagine being so selfish and callous not to care!!

Honored Contributor

I do pay attention to what is happening and what is said about it. I think it's important to keep informed about what is going on.  Some of us are older and not well to begin with, so - yes --- it is more distressing to us.  Maybe some don't feel they have to worry, but it's helpful to us all if we all try and be a little more careful right now.  If you had older, unwell loved ones who are close to you, you would worry and try to do all that you could to keep them as safe as possible through this.  I think we all have to be considerate and helpful to each other, even though we don't feel this really affects us directly.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

As someone who has recently been diagnosed wth the flu and did get the flu shot, I am reminded that flu shots are not the answer to everything. They work about 50% of the time. This will not be the last time this happens so, we might as well face this with some hope and courage. There comes a time where we just need to be brave.   

I understand that this flu presents more danger because we don't know that much about it, but so do most flu's especially for those over 60 or so.  I have a flu right now and I honestly have been so sick, I thought....whoa, this could be it.  Never have I been so sick like this with the flu. Even this influenza B (according to my doctor) is producing a lot more pneumonia patients than she has ever seen with this type flu.  While I believe in being prepared....there is still only so much we can do.  While we do need to keep abreast of things, maybe we should ask for some courage and not be quite so frightened and try to encourage others to stand strong.  I have often had to ask for more courage and strength in my prayers.  That's what gets me through things like this.  

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry that, despite the flu shot, you got a whopping case of the flu, @jubilant .   Hoping you feel stronger every day, and experience a rapid recovery soon.

Valued Contributor

I think what is also scary is that those who AREN'T taking this as a REAL threat will not be careful in washing their hands, using hand sanitizer, etc...just overall being cautious in everything they do. These types of people will end up spreading the virus even more :-(

Also, the other thing is the economy. I'm scared to death that we won't have access to our medication(s). There are people (myself included) who could die without them and I'm sure many of you reading this as well as your loved ones would also be affected.

I'm just trying to stay as positive as I can. Much love to all. We WILL get through this!!

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

I understand people's concern.  We've been watching hundreds of thousands be quarantined.  It's not something to take lightly.  At the same time, we have to be careful about worrying too much.  Take care of yourself and keep a watchful eye on what's happening.  

I have a couple of friends who are immuno-compromised.  They have more reason to be concerned than those who don't have underlying conditions. But they haven't stopped living.  They're just being a little more careful.

Respected Contributor

I am watching and am very worried.  I am in the worrisome age group and both my husband and I have lung problems.  If both of us got sick who would take care of our little dogs.  We don't have anyone to do it.  I take a lot of precautions and don't go out anymore than necessary.  As for the cruises I have felt so sorry for those people who are trapped and quarantined but now that you have been warned and if you go and the army has to rescue and quarantine you.....People who plan to take a week off for their job and wind up having to take a month off is hard for the employers too..... Just use good adult judgement. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@happycat wrote:

Yes, I pay attention to the stats. The latest stat I saw said that 14 percent of people who were 80 and older and contracted it died.

A friend says that only 4 percent of those who get it here die.

Great unless you are in the 4 percent.

I have a whole bunch of elderly people who I love dearly, and I am concerned.

So how many of those 80+ years of age died of other complications? Of flu? Or pneumonia? 

I'm one who is immuno-compromised and, while concerned, do NOT have an abnormal fear of coronavirus. And, by the way, I'm only 63.

@Sushismom ... according to the CDC, as of February 14th, in the USA alone, during the present flu season there were approximately 250,000 cases of the flu and 14,000 deaths from it.   My brother is a doctor.  He said  at this point we should all worry more about the flu than the coronavirus.  

Respected Contributor

While I do think that there are many valid reasons to be concerned, particularly for the segment of the population who are vulnerable, I also feel that the media IS quite irresponsibly whipping up fear and panic in a fevered frenzy. We’re also getting inconsistent messaging from the government and that adds to the frenzy as well. 

My 82 year old aunt is madder than a wet hen at me because I refuse to cancel my plans to fly back north this weekend and drive my rental car home instead. For me, that’s just silly. I’m not elderly or ill. I don’t have any vulnerabilities that would put me at risk. Airplane air is some of the cleanest air you can breathe - it’s filtered thru the same HEPA filters used in hospitals. Sure, I could sit next to someone who is ill, but I could also encounter someone who is ill in the grocery store, the gas station, a hotel, etc.

People need to do what’s right FOR THEM and their situation after carefully reviewing all of the facts. If you feel you need to alter your routine or change your plans, then do it. But use facts and reason. Panic doesn’t help anyone. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~