Re: Corona... overkill... does anyone

@reiki604 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Jinlei wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:

Dr. TomFriedenn, former CDC director, has succeeded in freaking me out. He says “we know for sure it will get much worse before things get better.” I saw two well-dressed women in Kroger today fighting over a package of toilet paper. Thedrr. was right! Half the shelves were empty; people were grabbingmulipless of almost everything and throwing them into their carts as if they were on one of those supermarket game shows. Checkout lines were almost to the back of the store. Insanity.

Well it's been here for 3 months now and we are up to a whopping 41 total deaths.

Yes, it's clearly multiplying exponentially.  Our country is being decimated.  Soon no one will be left.

H1N11 and even regular flu multiply deaths at a much much faster rate.

It's time to get real and stop the madness.

We have no idea how many deaths and affected people there are because we are not doing adequate testing

What do you consider adequate testing?  Everyone getting checked?  Then what do they do with this information? Everyone will be singing the blues when their stocks and retirement accounts tank.

I suggest you learn a little about science and epidemiology. Adequate data and information are the first steps. No one will be singing the blues about their stocks if they are too sick or not around to collect it. Life and health are more important than  money. If that's what you care about more than a global pandemic, you have my sincere sympathy.

@reiki604  Well the testing seems to be all over the map.  People test negative and then later they're positive.  In the meantime....

We were told by the "expert healths officials" that once you recovered and tested negative, you were good.  At least two cases later tested positive again.  The latest one is being reported from China.  In that article they said there were a lot of false results - both negative and positive.

The one number that is probably most accurate is the number of deaths - because given all the hysteria and the predictions that "milliions will die" I believe when someone actually does that person has been tested.  But hey - given the apparent problems with the test - can we even believe that number now?

I do think we are doing much better than China and Italy and think our medical care is better than socialized medicine.  But I have to say, the medical profession is not inspiring confidence in me at all.

I reported earlier about watching our local health officials here in Fairfax VA answer questions.  After going on about the importance of "containment" they then admitted "not knowing" about the contacts of the infected hospitalized persons and then acted as tho that was not really important.  Definitely did not inspire me.

While I clearly admit not being an "expert" in science and epidemiology, I'm not convinced they are either at this point.

I understand your fear and subsequent denial or distortion of scientiific evidence and ongoing discovery as more facts and data are collected. I wish you ongoing health to you and yours and hope that your fear and denial do not put you at greater risk. We are only seeing the tip of the iceburg. I would suggest subscribing to Johns Hopkins newletter on Covid-19 for daily updates on scientific and fact based information.

Actually I am not afraid.  And I'm not sure what exactly I am supposed to be "denying" or "distorting."

When a health official says in answer to a question about whether or not any person other then the patient in the hospital with Coronavirus was on the same Nile cruise and is "in the area" and he says he "doesn't have that information" and then we find out days later that the man's  wife was on the cruise too and she now has the virus- I am not impressed with his grasp of the importance of the containment he was just lecturing us all about.  

I have no doubt that there are lots of people - I have no idea how many - who have the virus right here.  Have they been tested?  Probably not.  Were they contacted by the health department as a known contact?  Probably not.  Yes, I am sure it is out of hand now as to  how many have been spreading the virus unknowingly.

Are the tests accurate?  I have no idea.  Clearly some are not if people test positive, then negative and then positive again.  OR  we've been misled about whether you can get it a second time.

Are millions in the U.S. going to die?  I don't know.  We are currently at 55 - so it would seem we have a way to go.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Jinlei wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:

Dr. TomFriedenn, former CDC director, has succeeded in freaking me out. He says “we know for sure it will get much worse before things get better.” I saw two well-dressed women in Kroger today fighting over a package of toilet paper. Thedrr. was right! Half the shelves were empty; people were grabbingmulipless of almost everything and throwing them into their carts as if they were on one of those supermarket game shows. Checkout lines were almost to the back of the store. Insanity.

Well it's been here for 3 months now and we are up to a whopping 41 total deaths.

Yes, it's clearly multiplying exponentially.  Our country is being decimated.  Soon no one will be left.

H1N11 and even regular flu multiply deaths at a much much faster rate.

It's time to get real and stop the madness.

We have no idea how many deaths and affected people there are because we are not doing adequate testing

What do you consider adequate testing?  Everyone getting checked?  Then what do they do with this information? Everyone will be singing the blues when their stocks and retirement accounts tank.

I suggest you learn a little about science and epidemiology. Adequate data and information are the first steps. No one will be singing the blues about their stocks if they are too sick or not around to collect it. Life and health are more important than  money. If that's what you care about more than a global pandemic, you have my sincere sympathy.

@reiki604  Well the testing seems to be all over the map.  People test negative and then later they're positive.  In the meantime....

We were told by the "expert healths officials" that once you recovered and tested negative, you were good.  At least two cases later tested positive again.  The latest one is being reported from China.  In that article they said there were a lot of false results - both negative and positive.

The one number that is probably most accurate is the number of deaths - because given all the hysteria and the predictions that "milliions will die" I believe when someone actually does that person has been tested.  But hey - given the apparent problems with the test - can we even believe that number now?

I do think we are doing much better than China and Italy and think our medical care is better than socialized medicine.  But I have to say, the medical profession is not inspiring confidence in me at all.

I reported earlier about watching our local health officials here in Fairfax VA answer questions.  After going on about the importance of "containment" they then admitted "not knowing" about the contacts of the infected hospitalized persons and then acted as tho that was not really important.  Definitely did not inspire me.

While I clearly admit not being an "expert" in science and epidemiology, I'm not convinced they are either at this point.

I understand your fear and subsequent denial or distortion of scientiific evidence and ongoing discovery as more facts and data are collected. I wish you ongoing health to you and yours and hope that your fear and denial do not put you at greater risk. We are only seeing the tip of the iceburg. I would suggest subscribing to Johns Hopkins newletter on Covid-19 for daily updates on scientific and fact based information.

Actually I am not afraid.  And I'm not sure what exactly I am supposed to be "denying" or "distorting."

When a health official says in answer to a question about whether or not any person other then the patient in the hospital with Coronavirus was on the same Nile cruise and is "in the area" and he says he "doesn't have that information" and then we find out days later that the man's  wife was on the cruise too and she now has the virus- I am not impressed with his grasp of the importance of the containment he was just lecturing us all about.  

I have no doubt that there are lots of people - I have no idea how many - who have the virus right here.  Have they been tested?  Probably not.  Were they contacted by the health department as a known contact?  Probably not.  Yes, I am sure it is out of hand now as to  how many have been spreading the virus unknowingly.

Are the tests accurate?  I have no idea.  Clearly some are not if people test positive, then negative and then positive again.  OR  we've been misled about whether you can get it a second time.

Are millions in the U.S. going to die?  I don't know.  We are currently at 55 - so it would seem we have a way to go.

You said it was a hoax, just the flu, just a cold, and that everyone was overreacting. Do you take it back now or not? If not, your questions are all in bad faith and do not deserve to be responded to.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

edited for brevity

@Isobel Archer I'm not sure if you have been remembering your own posts since the beginning of this pandemic but you seem to be changing your opinions and your alternative facts about how this pandemic is no big deal. 

I and others have repeatedly tried explaining to you the problems and issues in which this country has responded to the pandemic. I am done trying to educate you to the reality of science and data. Perhaps if you took the effort to go to independent sources  of information like the one I previously mentioned, it might help you get a better perspective on the reality of the situation. I wish you good health.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

OK here's my question.  I just checked and the first reported case of the virus in Italy was Jan 30 - when they reported 2 cases in Chinese tourists.

So if we are "so far behind the world" - why do they have so many more deaths than we do?

And if they - and China  - have "done everything right" in testing and containment - and we clearly haven't - why haven't we shown the death spikes that they have?

Just a question.

Who said China has done everything right. They made the doctor who first brought it to public attention retract publiclly everything he said. He died of the disease. Then when a reporter tried to keep the public informed, he suddenly disappeared. In a totalitarian system denial and cover up assures they will save face....until they can't. You seem disappointed that there aren't more death spikes. My state has had them on an almost daily basis. As more and more cases become apparent in the US, so do spikes in death. As for the flu versus Covid-19: apples and oranges. We do have innoculations for the flu which can bring milder symptoms. Different age groups are affected with each disease. To me, this should not be a question of whether our CDC and other departments concerned with our safety should be on top of this. Had we not let the global health agency of Health and Human Services disappear, we would have had a better chance of being on top of the situation. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well I didn' say China did everything right.  However, others have pointed to how China reduced their cases by their forced quarantines etc.  And Italy was also touted for the quarantine.

S. Korea was definitely praised for its wonderful testing.  Well they have 1/6 of our population (51.47 million as compared to our 327.2 million) and still have more deaths (75 to our 60).  

And people over and over have said that we did "everything wrong."

I have not changed my view that the panic and hysteria are vastly overblown.

Finally, I submit that socialized medicine is clearly NOT the answer to problems like this.  For everyone screaming about the testing failure - that rests solely with the CDC and FDA regulations.  And for the upteenth time - no their funding was NOT cut - Google is your friend - it was proposed but never happened.

Now that the private sector is not only allowed to be involved, but actively encouraged, we will see the testing happen - and hopefully we will get more accurate results.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Spin it however you see fit.

Our constant coverage is PREVENTION of spreading this further.

More prevention, less contamination/deaths.

Like everyone Is saying...it's a WORLDWIDE issue

#COVID-19IsNotLikeTheFlu

#WashYourHands

The US ranks in the top 10 worldwide of:

• Total Cases
  • Total Deaths
  • Active Cases

0BEAF469-5EAE-46F0-A82D-73DAEC69A7D5.jpeg

And our numbers are certainly low due to the fact that we aren't doing the widespread testing like other countries.  You have to test people to get accurate or even semi accurate counts.

Super Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

Oh...I thought you were talking about beer.  I prefer Stella Artois.

@SurferWife 

Really??

I'm surprised to see you being so flippant about this subject..

Just because you live in Hawaii doesn't mean you and yours are safe from it.....just wait.

Really? No one can add a bit of levity on a BB?

SURFERWIFE: I heard somewhere that the actual CORONA brand of beer

has sales down %40!

ridiculous

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Spin it however you see fit.

Our constant coverage is PREVENTION of spreading this further.

More prevention, less contamination/deaths.

Like everyone Is saying...it's a WORLDWIDE issue

#COVID-19IsNotLikeTheFlu

#WashYourHands

The US ranks in the top 10 worldwide of:

• Total Cases
  • Total Deaths
  • Active Cases

0BEAF469-5EAE-46F0-A82D-73DAEC69A7D5.jpeg

And our numbers are certainly low due to the fact that we aren't doing the widespread testing like other countries.  You have to test people to get accurate or even semi accurate counts.

Well our death numbers are certainly low - especially compared to total population.

New Contributor

Anyone concerned about ordering cosmetics or creams made in Italy, France & China? Some of my favorite brands come from these countries, but I`m hesitant to order, such as Laura G .

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
How about Italy and all the people dying everyday hundreds.. OVERKILL, I worry about my husband everyday when he leaves our home because he's told he has to work during this time because of his job. There are a lot of people that work in his industry that already have been tested positive with the virus, and they are NOT elderly people. Young people are also at risk. Stay Home If You Can!!!!!!!!!!