Esteemed Contributor

I'm in Arkansas and have bought food three times to take home and have not had to sign anything any time. I do think its a good idea though. 

Honored Contributor

Contact tracing is proven to drastically cut down on the spread and save lives.  One person can be responsible for spreading the virus to hundreds and hundreds of those who were in direct contact with them and do not quarantine themselves since they don't even know they may be infected.  Wonder what those paranoid people are  afraid of anyone finding out about them since they do not seem to care about possibly spreading it to their loved ones.  They probably should go off the grid because anywhere you go there are cameras everywhere!!

Honored Contributor

The overall effectiveness of contact tracing varies wildly depending on the location. If NYC fully reopens and goes back to "normal" a typical resident might ride the subway five stops to get to work. Each subway car holds 260 or so people at rush hour. At each stop, some people get off and some more get on. An infected person might expose 500 or more people just riding the subway to work as the passengers in the car get on and off. Once they get to their stop and get off, they're then passing through the people waiting for a train and the people on the street. A few hundred more people could easily get exposed. Then in their workplace, they're likely to be in contact with more people and if they go out for lunch, still more people. Then they've got the walk back to the subway stop, the wait among others for their train, the trip home, making five more stops on the train and then finally they're back home. If they don't go out that night they've likely exposed over a thousand people just by going to and from work.

Then all of those who came into contact with the infected person need to be monitored and traced, as they could be unwitting carriers spreading the disease. And if they have similar levels of interaction and travel then each of them is potentially infecting a thousand people a day and all of those people need to be traced. If you have a thousand people exposing a thousand people each day, that's a million people a day. The numbers get crazy quickly in large population centers.

Contact tracing breaks down very quickly in large population centers. If you're doing it in the middle of nowhere, it can be effective, but in large population centers, you might as well just assume everyone has come into contact with someone with the virus. Contact tracing just doesn't work in large population centers.

We now know one of two things about this virus. Either the virus isn't as easily spread as first assumed, or the virus isn't nearly as dangerous as first assumed with many people getting it with no symptoms and just shrugging it off. And it's possible both are true.

If each person with the virus, infected just one uninfected person each day, by day 35 everyone in the world would have had the virus. Day one, one person has the virus. They give it to someone else and on day two there are two. Each of them then infects someone else and on day three there are four cases. Each day the number of cases doubles from the day before and by day 35 over eight billion people are infected. That clearly hasn't happened. 

Antibody studies in NYC have shown that between 20% and 25% of residents have likely been exposed to the virus and formed antibodies. (Assuming the antibody tests are reliable which may be assuming a lot.) That implies that most people just shrug off the virus with few if any, symptoms or ill effects. There are 8.4 million people in NYC. If 20% of them have been infected and recovered then that's 1.68 million people. Almost the total known number of infected nationally.

We're a country of about 330 million people. We have 1.76-ish million confirmed cases of Covid-19. That puts your odds of bumping into a known infected person about one in 187. (It's even safer than that as many of those confirmed cases have either recovered (around 94% recover) or died.) Based on what we now know, just casual contact with an infected person is very unlikely to spread the disease. (Once again if each infected person infected just one person a day we'd all already have had it.) So, the risk to each individual at this point is pretty small. If you practice safe behaviors, (mask, handwashing, etc.) the odds of you getting infected are very small. 

Contact tracing will largely just make people paranoid. For people who live in large population centers, they'd get ten or more notifications a day that they'd come into contact with an infected, or possibly infected person. If you think people are stressed out now, the level of stress will increase dramatically if contact tracing is deployed. If everyone who has come into contact with an infected person self-isolates, we'll become a country of hermits all living in self-isolation. 

Just do what you're supposed to do and you should be fine. This isn't the plague to end all plagues. Contact tracing is a tool that's largely ineffective in large population centers and is far from a panacea. Just wear your mask, wash your hands, and you'll likely be fine.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Many posters think this is a great idea but wait... 3000,000 trackers are needed to do what? If you're exposed will you have to...get tested, be confined to your home & if you refuse? Will they have access to your medical records? Will they have access to your credit cards to see where you've been? Will your employer be notified & your family too? This is frightening & should give everyone pause...the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Respected Contributor

I did not like the official who started blabbing about "capturing" potential spreaders with this contact tracing. Made it sound like rounding up "guilty" people like criminals. Then what? Lock them up? Sounds like crazy talk to me.

Respected Contributor

The Govenor here in Wa state had this tracing order set to go but then pulled back so we will not be doing it here. I dont pay much attention to the kook so dont know his reasoning on the mind change.

Respected Contributor

If a place preparing my food wants my phone number, it's so they can either call me to tell me that someone on their staff has tested positive or is sick, or they can give it to contact tracers/the government. Probably the former, so they can contain the negative press. A restaurant known to be employing sick workers will not stay in business.

What it suggests to me is that they 're not confident of the health of their staff or their food handling protocols. I would have cancelled the order, and I certainly wouldn't eat anything from there again. I'm food paranoid, but these times justify concern.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Many posters think this is a great idea but wait... 3000,000 trackers are needed to do what? If you're exposed will you have to...get tested, be confined to your home & if you refuse? Will they have access to your medical records? Will they have access to your credit cards to see where you've been? Will your employer be notified & your family too? This is frightening & should give everyone pause...the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

@kitcat51  You really need to understand the concept of contact tracing. Let me help you a bit.  The process begins once a person receives a Covid diagnosis usually from a testing lab who are required to report positive tests to local health districts.  People are then called and asked when symptoms started so they get an idea when they were infectious.  They are asked about their living situation and others who could have been exposed to them.  Your employer and family members probably would be notified and that is the good part.  They now are aware that they may have been exposed.  If you refuse to self-quarantine you are only hurting yourself and others.  No one is looking for credit card information or medical records!  And yes. It is sometimes impossible to figure out where somebody picked up the virus.  They are mostly concerned about prolonged exposures not quick exposures such as grocery shopping.  Nothing frightening about it at all.  It's the process needed to stop the spread.  It is the same process used to successfully control the spread of SARS.  Nothing here to be paranoid about.

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Arizona is pretty much open for everything. Gyms, salons,  sit down dining, stores are all open. Heck even our governor said school will start on time in August. So far I've not had to sign in or have my picture with anything I've done. We are pretty close to business as usual. I'm not even sure what is still closed except for maybe a few stores and no large gatherings.

I'm curious.

With everything open and "back to normal", has the rate of infection gone up?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@RealtyGal2  Baloney.  "Contact Tracing" is a fishing expedition.  It's a form of snooping.  Who knows which bank customer was the infected person unless EVERYONE who was at that window for a certain period of time is tracked down.  Maybe the bank employee got the infection elsewhere.  Many people have no symptoms.  Others have very mild symptoms.  Concentrate on protecting the elderly as needed and leave the rest of the people alone.  I'm 80.  I have a gazillion "underlying conditions".  I try to protect myself to the extent possible.