Honored Contributor

Re: Compare School Calendars

Growing up in Calif. We were out of school mid June and always went back day after Labor Day.  I thought everyone did this, it makes sense.  In Nv the part I am in they got out first week of June and will gobake August then for some reason we have a fall break in Oct. which makes no sense to me, then every Weds, is half day which makes no sense.  Sometimes kids have too much out of school time which can make it hard for working parents.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Minnesota:  Most schools start the day after Labor Day, and go through the first week of June.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't have kids but I looked at our district calendar. School starts Aug. 10. I think it ended sometime middle of May. Some schools go back at the end of July sometimes. This is Arizona. They have so many days with no school or half days the summer is no longer 3 months.

Trusted Contributor

I live in New York. The last day this year is June 24, and the first day for students next school year is Sept 1.

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in PA.  Public school begins the day after Labor Day in September.  The last day of school this year was yesterday, June 9.  Snow days affect the schedule but since COVID shutdown, students now have laptops to use at home for snow days.  Private schools vary, they usually begin earlier and end earlier (a week or so difference).

Respected Contributor

I work for a public school district in Northern Delaware.  The last day of school was June 9 and the first day is Monday, August 29 except Pre K, their first day is September 6.  Now that all students have computer access due to the pandemic, only one day is given off for snow.  All other snow days are made up with asynchronous on line learning. 

Esteemed Contributor

Around here in Oregon, always starts after Labor Day ends in later June.  

Honored Contributor

I don't know if it's still this way .... but  ..... back in the dark ages when I was in school (grammar and high school)

In NYC - Catholic schools

- we started the Tuesday after Labor Day

- had an "inter-term recess" (one week) in January

- one week off after Easter and

- school ended the last week of June.

Honored Contributor

Here in N AL schools got out on May 25 and go back on Aug 3.  They get too many breaks now.  They get a one week fall break in OCT, Christmas from 20 DEC till 3 JAN and then a week of Spring Break in March.  I'm so glad my daughter graduated before all that started.  Her grades always dropped after Christmas break.  She would've never made it if I had to deal with 3 breaks every year on top of summer.

Honored Contributor

Just looked it up - June 17 last day of school for Grades 1 - 11. June 10 last day of school for Grade 12.