Honored Contributor

Re: Comment Made to Me Yesterday

I don't offend easily..one day a person said to me "did you get here on the short bus"I told her no I walked because it's good for my health.She told me that she was trying to insult me and I told her she could use some work on her technique.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I don't offend easily..one day a person said to me "did you get here on the short bus"I told her no I walked because it's good for my health.She told me that she was trying to insult me and I told her she could use some work on her technique.

BRAAVO!!!!Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Holy Cow, I have never heard so many people being so unkind in one spot so quickly! The OP didn't mention the woman's age, but from the way it was relayed she sounds like an older woman. Older or not, I immediately thought of her as being motherly, or grandmotherly, or at the very least a concerned human being. If she had wanted to insult OP or be rude I'm sure there were many better ways to do it!

What would be being said if OP had been seriously ill, and  in need of a kind word, and the woman simply looked at her, and walked right past? I think she was just a kind woman thinking she was being caring. I think what we need to be thinking about is her intent! How many of you really believe she meant to be rude? Seriously!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Similar to another poster's reply, maybe say:  "Yes!  You look tired, too, and I've noticed it in others this morning.  Must be something in the air going around....."    (Say it in an energetic, laughing, smiling way.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

She was rude,stupid,thoughtless,and a moron!!!  That was not nice to say to anyone. Oh I forgot no brains.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2

idea: say "oh my!" (Look alarmed) "Really?" "What do you think I should do?" or "I'd better go to that Urgent Care center... I have been coughing, etc"

Yes, it was a rude thing for them to say to a stranger. If they are lonely and need attention, you might end up in a convo tho ... ugh

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

Holy Cow, I have never heard so many people being so unkind in one spot so quickly! The OP didn't mention the woman's age, but from the way it was relayed she sounds like an older woman. Older or not, I immediately thought of her as being motherly, or grandmotherly, or at the very least a concerned human being. If she had wanted to insult OP or be rude I'm sure there were many better ways to do it!

What would be being said if OP had been seriously ill, and  in need of a kind word, and the woman simply looked at her, and walked right past? I think she was just a kind woman thinking she was being caring. I think what we need to be thinking about is her intent! How many of you really believe she meant to be rude? Seriously!

ITA. I can't believe there are so many rude, nasty,  and mean responses posted here. No wonder there's so much tension in today's society.  No kind word goes unpunished, I guess.  

Respected Contributor

I say, her favorite color is three.  'Nuff said, lol.  

Honored Contributor

I don't  doubt the woman meant to be kind and sympathic. It didn't  come across that way, still intentions are what matter.

I never mind when strangers speak to me; I rather like it. I don't  like to be in a rush so I plan my life to avoid it. That way I'm never too busy to acknowledge  another's  existence.  I can't  know if perhaps a friendly few words may improve someone's  day. 

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I don't  doubt the woman meant to be kind and sympathic. It didn't  come across that way, still intentions are what matter.

I never mind when strangers speak to me; I rather like it. I don't  like to be in a rush so I plan my life to avoid it. That way I'm never too busy to acknowledge  another's  existence.  I can't  know if perhaps a friendly few words may improve someone's  day. 

Amen! Very nicely said!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.