Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I liked Archie and Richie Rich. I also read Mad and Cracked magazine. 
The comic book digests were the best!

@GenXmuse   Oh yes-I forgot about Richie Rich.  I read that one, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain did you really read those when you were a kid?  Had I known of their existence I would have had to sneak them in the house but if my parents had found them, I'm sure they would have gotten rid of them right away.  Tried to keep me innocent of such things for as long as they could and I don't think I was into comics in h.s. but maybe would have if I had seen these!!!  Cat Surprised

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Sushismom wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

For some reason we were not allowed to buy or read comic books when we were kids.  Not even if we used our own money to buy them.

We could read the comic strips in the Sunday paper though.

I, too, wasn't able to buy comics. I could read them, though. Never made sense to me.

@Sushismom I was a reader, everything. My parents only censored one thing, and that was the romance magazines, with the lurid covers. Of course I snuck them at the news stand . 

I can remember finding 3 books my parents had hidden in their closet. Yes, I was snooping. I was probably 11 and would sneak these books and put them back. They weren't picture books but they were beyond racy.  My mother would be mortified if she knew this. 

Honored Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@Porcelain did you really read those when you were a kid?  Had I known of their existence I would have had to sneak them in the house but if my parents had found them, I'm sure they would have gotten rid of them right away.  Tried to keep me innocent of such things for as long as they could and I don't think I was into comics in h.s. but maybe would have if I had seen these!!!  Cat Surprised

lol No. My era is a little later than the 50s. But if it were, I would have been interested in those romance comics around high school age too.

In my house growing up, once I was that old, I don't think such a thing would have been banned if found, but there would have been a series of very mortifying "talks." So I would have kept it all hidden to avoid having the discussion.

Reminds me of what happened when I was about 11. My parents went on an extended trip to Hong Kong and for several reasons I had to stay behind at my mom's friend's house. Well that lady kept her extensive romance novel collection in the spare room I stayed in. Guess what this girl read voraciously each night, completely scandalized and intrigued all the while?

I think the lady assumed I was too young or oblivious to be interested (and I certainly didn't say anything to her about it), or more likely she didn't think about it at all.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain very humorous!!!

Honored Contributor

My girlfriend and I read Achie, Little LuLu, and I'm guessing others, but for now..???

Respected Contributor

i wasn't aware of about comic books until i was about 11,  deathly sick in bed with a bad case of the flu and the sweet lady across the street sent over some of her chicken soup and a bunch of Archie comic books.  my fave was Betty and Veronica.  my best friend was a "Veronica" with long raven hair. i was a dishwater blonde "Betty" and kind of a ditz.

then i discovered the LOVE Comics!   my mother nver said a word about my comic books. i loved to read!  my nose was perpetually in a book. i read everything i could get my hands on. when reading material got thin i would read Dr.Spock's baby book which for some reason was buried in a bunch of towels in the linen closet!

Esteemed Contributor

I read Archie and Veronica, Superman comics but my real love was Sunday comics in Washington Post; especially Li'l Abner and Brenda Starr ( 1950s and 60s).