Honored Contributor

The recent post about cartoons got me thinking about comic books.  I was such a fan Archie, Katie Keene, Heckle and Jeckle, so many I can't think of all of them. When I got older, I switched to Mad magazine. I've always loved to laugh. Were any of you comic book fans ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1  I also loved the Archie series of comic books.  We had a subscription to Mad Magazine.  Looking back, they were ahead of the times with their satire.  Loved Alfred E. Neuman!

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

Yes, big fan of Archie, too. There was another that I don't remember the name of that was almost like romance stories done in comic book style. 

Honored Contributor

For some reason we were not allowed to buy or read comic books when we were kids.  Not even if we used our own money to buy them.

We could read the comic strips in the Sunday paper though.

Honored Contributor

I liked the New Mutants in the 90s. I briefly enjoyed the Sandman graphic novels and a few romantic mangas once upon a time as well.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

For some reason we were not allowed to buy or read comic books when we were kids.  Not even if we used our own money to buy them.

I, too, wasn't able to buy comics. I could read them, though. Never made sense to me.

Honored Contributor

I loved the Archie comic books but my favorites were Millie the Model.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Comic Books

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Not making assumptions about your age! But I read all about the problems with comic books in the 50s and I think early 60s. In that period, many of them (Archie and Lil Abner etc, not included obviously) were extremely ghoulish and full of explicit adult violence and torture. Like horror movies are today. It's possible your parents heard about how truly awful many comic books were in the 50s, even if comics had changed by then, and based their decision on that.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I, too, loved the Archie comics, Leave It to Beaver, and Mad Magazine once  got older.   There were others, but these are the ones that come to mind. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I, too, wasn't able to buy comics. I could read them, though. Never made sense to me.

@Sushismom I was a reader, everything. My parents only censored one thing, and that was the romance magazines, with the lurid covers. Of course I snuck them at the news stand . 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan