Super Contributor

I have asthma attacks when exposed to cats and dogs.  I used to volunteer for Tony Robbins and did quite a bit of flying, usually on Southwest.  This was before all of this comfort pet junk started.  I would always inquire if there were going to be animals on the flight.  I was told there was a limit of 3 animals in the cabin and they had to be in their carriers.. Of course all of that has changed.  I no longer fly for that reason.

Honored Contributor

It's a lot healthier than taking anti anxiety meds but it does seem like it can be abused. What if we all "needed" one?  I love animals but I don't expect everyone to make allowances for if. 

Respected Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with having a therapy pet or "comfort" pet, but people that do so also need to have consideration for the fact that there are people who are allergic. 

Exactly, but the real problem is that "Emotional Support Animals" are really only legally allowed in your house, and on airplanes they can fly free. They are not considered service animals like animals for the blind...so they are not legally allowed in theatres, restaurants, etc. It shouldn't be a problem for other people who have allergies, as they shouldn't be there in the first place.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Barbiedr wrote:

I have asthma attacks when exposed to cats and dogs.  I used to volunteer for Tony Robbins and did quite a bit of flying, usually on Southwest.  This was before all of this comfort pet junk started.  I would always inquire if there were going to be animals on the flight.  I was told there was a limit of 3 animals in the cabin and they had to be in their carriers.. Of course all of that has changed.  I no longer fly for that reason.

Just wondering...What has changed? Emotional support animals are still only allowed in the cabin in their carrier (if they fit under the seat in front of them). Larger emotional support animals fly in the luggage area...only if they have a pressurized luggage area and only if the temperatures permit it. They still only permit a few animals in the cabin. Why can't you fly?

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I heard this discussion a couple of weeks ago on my car radio.  They were discussing animals in the cabins of airplanes.  They found out in my state that all they had to do was fill out a form and pay $250 (I think that was the amount) and they got a certificate with no proof required.  They said many were doing this because they no longer have to pay fly their animals.  

Honored Contributor

desertDi wrote:

Maybe it was the dog who needed comfort................

Hahahaha!  I love this.  It sounds like this lady wasn't very nice, so I kind of feel for the dog.  

I'm really not familiar with the concept, outside of bringing pets to retirement-type homes to spend time with elderly patients and bring them some companionship and comfort.

I don't know if there is some kind of law-type thing like there is with service dogs - I suppose that would vary from state to state.

I'm all for somebody having their comfort and anybody who has known me for more than 5 minutes knows I LOVE animals to the end of the earth.  

But the lady initially refusing to move when the person next to her was allergic was kind of nasty.  I don't think her right to a comfort animal trumps the other person's right to breathe freely and not get sick.

Esteemed Contributor

Are there people who legitimately need comfort animals?

Yes, but there are others who take advantage of that, and claim that they need Fluffy, when the truth is, they don't have a clinical/medical reason for a "comfort pet".

In other words, they are lying.

A person can claim any animal is a "comfort pet", even a boa constrictor, or a tarantula spider.

Businesses can check for documentation, but they don't, for fear of being sued.

It's only a matter of time before one of these liars has a "comfort pet" on a plane that attacks someone, or lifts a leg, or takes a dump.

I think then and only then, will they crack down on the abusers.

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking all the cool kids at school will want one

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I heard this discussion a couple of weeks ago on my car radio.  They were discussing animals in the cabins of airplanes.  They found out in my state that all they had to do was fill out a form and pay $250 (I think that was the amount) and they got a certificate with no proof required.  They said many were doing this because they no longer have to pay fly their animals.  

@DiAnne ... They are legally required to have the letter from the psychiatrist along with them at all times. It has to be the original letter on letterhead, signed, and dated (less than a year old). If they do not have this letter, the airline does not have to allow them to bring the pet on the plane.

It does not cost $250 to register your pet. You can register your pet for $30. It costs $250 for an animal to fly on a plane (without proof of being an Emotional Support Animal). The animal can fly free with the proof. They need the letter from the psychiatrist, the registration from the emotional support registry, and a letter from a vet that is less than 10 days old verifying that the animal is healthy and up-to-date on vaccinations. From what I have read online, the airlines don't ask to see any proof. The airlines need to get tougher.

Honored Contributor

Re: Comfort Pets?

[ Edited ]

@Brinklii wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@DiAnne ... They are legally required to have the letter from the psychiatrist along with them at all times. It has to be the original letter on letterhead, signed, and dated (less than a year old). If they do not have this letter, the airline does not have to allow them to bring the pet on the plane.

It does not cost $250 to register your pet. You can register your pet for $30. It costs $250 for an animal to fly on a plane (without proof of being an Emotional Support Animal). The animal can fly free with the proof. They need the letter from the psychiatrist, the registration from the emotional support registry, and a letter from a vet that is less than 10 days old verifying that the animal is healthy and up-to-date on vaccinations. From what I have read online, the airlines don't ask to see any proof. The airlines need to get tougher.

@Yardlie

I was only half listening to this but I do know he paid either $250 or $275 to get a certificate for his animal and they just took his word for it and did not require any documentation.  I don't know if it is different in different states but this was in Washington State. He said now his dog could fly free and in the cabin.  

My Favorite Breed is Adopted