Respected Contributor

Colorado will replace Columbus Day with Cabrini Day

[ Edited ]

Colorado will replace Columbus Day with Cabrini Day, the first paid state holiday recognizing a woman in the US

The transition from commemorating Columbus to Cabrini is a step forward 
"The pain that they (indigenous people) endure and the historical trauma endured by indigenous people in this country as a result of what Columbus has put in place is real," Rep. Adrienne Benavidez,  one of the bill's sponsors, told CNN.. "And this is a step forward in erasing that pain."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/us/colorado-columbus-day-cabrini-day-trnd/?hpt=ob_blogfooterold 

Honored Contributor

Re: Colorado will replace Columbus Day with Cabrini Day

Sorry, but I wouldn't be enthused about celebrating somebody I'd never heard of.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  The thing is, there are already holidays some folks wouldn't necessarily have elected to 'celebrate'... That said, this hardly seems like an all around great choice as a subject of celebration if the focus was to have been on Native Americans... I'm sure Cabrini is deserving of recognition, but not sure either she or Columbus really deserves a day of their own...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Was Columbus ever in Colorado?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

St. Kateri Tekakwitha seems to be a better choice:  She is the patron saint of the environment, Native Indigenous People, and  people in exile.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  St Frances Xavier Cabrini  was the first naturalized citizen of the U.S. to be canonized. While I don't see the connection to Colorado, I guess because she is Italian she was substituted for Columbus.

As a later post mentions  Kateri Tekawitha would seem more appropriate.

Esteemed Contributor

This is Mother Cabrini's link to Colorado.  The state honoring her makes sense:

In 1904, Cabrini established Denver's Queen of Heaven Orphanage for girls, including many orphans of local Italian miners. In 1910, she purchased rural property from the town of Golden, on the east slope of Lookout Mountain, as a summer camp for the girls. A small farming operation was established and maintained by three of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. The camp dormitory, built of native rock and named the Stone House, was completed in 1914 and later listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[20]

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Kachina624  St Frances Xavier Cabrini  was the first naturalized citizen of the U.S. to be canonized. While I don't see the connection to Colorado, I guess because she is Italian she was substituted for Columbus.

As a later post mentions  Kateri Tekawitha would seem more appropriate.

@kaydee50-Colorado has a shrine dedicated to her in Golden Springs, CO.

Honored Contributor

I live in Colorado and I have not heard about this until just now. 

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

This is Mother Cabrini's link to Colorado.  The state honoring her makes sense:

In 1904, Cabrini established Denver's Queen of Heaven Orphanage for girls, including many orphans of local Italian miners. In 1910, she purchased rural property from the town of Golden, on the east slope of Lookout Mountain, as a summer camp for the girls. A small farming operation was established and maintained by three of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. The camp dormitory, built of native rock and named the Stone House, was completed in 1914 and later listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[20]

@qbetzforreal   Her service was to Italian immigrants, specifically girls, and orphans.  The west was flooded with Italian immigrants to work the mines.  She was advised to do this by the Pope.