Trusted Contributor

Re: Colorado will replace Columbus Day with Cabrini Day

@SilleeMee  Neither have I....DW

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

This is Mother Cabrini's link to Colorado.  The state honoring her makes sense:

In 1904, Cabrini established Denver's Queen of Heaven Orphanage for girls, including many orphans of local Italian miners. In 1910, she purchased rural property from the town of Golden, on the east slope of Lookout Mountain, as a summer camp for the girls. A small farming operation was established and maintained by three of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. The camp dormitory, built of native rock and named the Stone House, was completed in 1914 and later listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[20]

@qbetzforreal   Her service was to Italian immigrants, specifically girls, and orphans.  The west was flooded with Italian immigrants to work the mines.  She was advised to do this by the Pope.

@Cakers3-ok

Respected Contributor

In Hispaniola, Columbus’ first stop in the Americas, the native Taino population (an indigenous Arawak people) had no immunity to new infectious diseases, including smallpox, measles and influenza. There were an estimated 250,000 indigenous people in Hispaniola in 1492. By 1517, only 14,000 remained.

https://omrf.org/2013/10/10/columbus-brought-more-than-ships-to-the-new-world/ 

Colorado  will commemorate Frances Xavier Cabrini, who according to the bill is responsible for establishing 67 schools, hospitals, and orphanages in the United States and South and Central America throughout her lifetime.

However, in recent years, several states and cities have stopped observing the October holiday altogether in response to a growing movement to change Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples' Day.

This includes Washington, D.C., North Carolina, Louisiana, Hawaii, Alaska, New Mexico, Vermont and more, as they choose to celebrate the holiday honoring the native populations who were displaced after Columbus and other European explorers reached the continent. Historians largely agree that despite popular belief, Columbus did not "discover" the Americas since people were already there and neither was he the first European to reach the "New World."

https://scoop.upworthy.com/colorado-replaces-columbus-day-cabrini-day-first-paid-state-holiday-honor... 

Honored Contributor

It's nice Colorado wants to have a day of honor but the announcement read that the indigenous people have suffered, which I agree.

To remove Columbus is their choice, and again, I agree.

However, Columbus has nothing to do with Colorado; I asked that question earlier. 

To honor the indigenous peoples seems to be side-stepped by honoring St. Cabrini.  

I know she has a shrine; I've been there.  I also know my saints-trust me, the nuns made sure.  LOL

The announcement came off more as having the first female saint honored rather than choosing a female saint who had more to do with indigenous peoples.

That's my point.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh