Trusted Contributor

Re: Colorado father confesses to killing wife/kids

@apple1964 wrote:

I saw pictures and videos of the family on the news last night.  What about a divorce?  I  do  not  understand how  anyone could kill anybody  let alone his  family.  This reminds me of the 1970's  murder  also with two  little  girls and a pregnant wife.  I  think if memory serves me his name  was  Jeffery Macdonald.  Why  do  these men get married  in the first place,  very sad  my heart  goess  out to the family and friends  ......very  scary!

Jeffrey MacDonald was originally from an area not too far from where I live. That was quite a case and still pops up every once in awhile.

A divorce seems logical, but often it's about money or revenge.  A lot of these men get married and never consider the pressures family life and responsibility will bring.  If they are narcissistic or immature, they resent that the focus is not on them.  I find these stories fascinating, but definitely oh so tragic.  

Trusted Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

As soon as he mentioned they had had an "emotional discussion" or something to that effect, it was obvious he had something to do with their murders.  Turns out they were in debt - big debt.  She was pregnant with another child.  Don't get me wrong, but I don't understand why when people have financial difficulties, they continue to have chidlren.  This will be a case to watch if there is a trial.  Was it just financial pressure?  Did he feel trapped?  Is there a girlfriend?  Big insurance policies?  

Those issues are potential motives, but in no way mitigating factors. People all over the world have children, when they can't afford them. Millions, if not billions, of people have financial problems. (No, I'm not arguing, just discussing the case. Tragic, just tragic.)

Yes, people all over the word do have children, but I'd like to think people can also have some common sense and know it's not a good time to add to the family.  I'm not talking about high poverty stricken areas of the world.  That's a different discussion. Sadly, those people have very little control over their lives.    

Trusted Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@MarieIG wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

As soon as he mentioned they had had an "emotional discussion" or something to that effect, it was obvious he had something to do with their murders.  Turns out they were in debt - big debt.  She was pregnant with another child.  Don't get me wrong, but I don't understand why when people have financial difficulties, they continue to have chidlren.  This will be a case to watch if there is a trial.  Was it just financial pressure?  Did he feel trapped?  Is there a girlfriend?  Big insurance policies?  

Those issues are potential motives, but in no way mitigating factors. People all over the world have children, when they can't afford them. Millions, if not billions, of people have financial problems. (No, I'm not arguing, just discussing the case. Tragic, just tragic.)

Yes, people all over the word do have children, but I'd like to think people can also have some common sense and know it's not a good time to add to the family.  I'm not talking about high poverty stricken areas of the world.  That's a different discussion. Sadly, those people have very little control over their lives.    

I don't disagree. Just saying not in any way an excuse for child abuse or this horrific crime.
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I don't care HOW bad you think you're life is. I don't care HOW much debt you're in. You DO NOT KILL 2 young children because your situation stinks because of YOUR choices.

Said it once, I'll say it again: Children ALWAYS SUFFER due to the choices made by ADULTS.  You can spin the issues any way you want but 2 young children died and there was no reason, no excuse for it. 

THAT is where the focus should be; the DEATHS. He has no excuse. Stop trying to find him one and then attempt to push blame on those "issues" or worse yet, that SHE was the cause due to getting pregnant with their debts, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

We don't know what we don't know. 

Every day we learn of unbelievable behavior, just last night on 48 Hours a man chased his business partner through their vineyard shooting at him, then shot him in the head in full view of LE.

@occasionalrain  Actually, we do know that he killed all of them because he confessed.

LE has reported that he has confessed but we aren't privy to what exactly or to the methods used to elicit it. In our country we have trials to determine fact from spectulation. I'll wait for that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Those type(s) of people cannot seem to 'think straight' in a humanly logical, legal, common sense way.

They have a 'one track mind' and a devious 'agenda' to fulfill.

Nothing can divert them, including laws, ethics, common sense, and empathy.  And they don't seem to care. 

It's probably almost impossible to 'change their minds', so to speak.

Well, that's what I'm guessing right now.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s. from my recent/last post: I know, we cannot imagine how those types of people could do 'this and that'.

But, they are and have been out there doing bad things.

Just remember that nothing seems to dissuade them. They are going to do what they have their minds 'set on' doing.

Sort of set on 'automatic pilot.'

Well, that's the way I see it. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I find it frighting that  you could have a family member ,friend that you think you know very well,and they could not be what you think they are, how could  a person not  see how devious a person really is?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Too bad he didn’t just kill himself. 

Honored Contributor

Update from the Associated Press:

"FREDERICK, Colo. (AP) — A Colorado judge has denied a request by a defense attorney for a man accused of killing his pregnant wife and two daughters to require a coroner to collect DNA from the necks of the young girls.

The judge said in an order Friday he would not tell the medical examiner's office involved in the case how to do its job, KMGH-TV and the Daily Camera newspaper in Boulder reported.

Autopsies were completed Friday on Shanann Watts, 34, and her daughters, 4-year-old Bella and 3-year-old Celeste. The cause of their deaths has not been made public. The motion seeking the DNA samples from the girls' necks suggested that they may have been strangled."